E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

question for those with PDC......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys still turn your head and look when backing up? is there a vicinity where the pdc won't pick up which might lead to a slight mishap? i always look back even though i do have it beep and on the idrive.....

i see all these people, with pdc on their cars, with beat up bumpers, so i'm figuring it might not pick up everything.....

just curious......
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by djdc78
do you guys still turn your head and look when backing up? is there a vicinity where the pdc won't pick up which might lead to a slight mishap? i always look back even though i do have it beep and on the idrive.....

i see all these people, with pdc on their cars, with beat up bumpers, so i'm figuring it might not pick up everything.....

just curious......
It's good rule of thumb to look where you are going
I was actually in the passenger seat when a buddy of mine backed his 7 series into a trash can even with all the beeping from the PDC. The trash can wasn't tall enough to see over the trunk lid, but c'mon.

My experience with the PDC, I always check to make sure I am not backing into a pole. Since it's not a huge object and is round, the PDC may have a tendency to "mis-judge". I thought about adding a camera but how hard is turning your head for 30 seconds while you park?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I thought about adding a camera but how hard is turning your head for 30 seconds while you park?
true....but lately i've been sleeping weird and my neck has been real sore.....especially when turned all the way to look behind me.....but you're right, safety first

thanks for the insight.....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

just curious......
I spent years driving a van with no rear view and learned to reverse by the wing mirrors alone (no PDC), and when my last 5 Tourer was full and could not see out the rear this experience helped.

What I have leaned over the years is that it is easier to reverse into spaces than out. For instance, if at a carpark and you park forward you have to back into possible traffic or people you cannot see until your car is already in the way! if you reverse in then you will only need to lean and possibly nudge forward.

One thing I will say tho, is that the PDC sensors and looking through the wing mirrors cannot see someone walking behind a reversing car (or even a child running!). Even if you do choose to reverse with the wing mirrors, rear view, camera and PDC, always have a look around first.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Always - PDC won't sense everything. My use to rely completely on it despite what I told her and one day she reversed into a pillar.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

When I picked up my E60 with PDC all the bumpers had some parking damage on them (good excuse to slam on the M-tech) so I guess its not a good idea to just listen to the beeps....

I still look backward, because I dont trust the PDC a 100%...and I would feel pretty stupid damaging my M-tech having PDC
Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

Originally Posted by greycoopers
When I picked up my E60 with PDC all the bumpers had some parking damage on them (good excuse to slam on the M-tech) so I guess its not a good idea to just listen to the beeps....

I still look backward, because I dont trust the PDC a 100%...and I would feel pretty stupid damaging my M-tech having PDC
Usually I always have a look to see if there is any pole but the PDC is very reliable.
I inch the car slowly and let the beep guide. as soon as it turns into a straight beep you stop! Usually when you haer the continious beep it means that there will be another 3 or four inches but not always so, particularly when reversing against a wall. Once you get the continious beep you are there. I get to squeeze very easy between two cars with just a foot of room shared between rear and front. Particularly parking in the city or when parking is at a premium.. No scratched bumpers and i do it all the time. Depends much on the reflexing action of the driver to manage....
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I always look where I'm going. The PDC is very useful but not 100% reliable. It will miss anything on the ground (like parking curbstones, kids bikes etc.), poles, slim trees, anything just to the side thats also slim. Great for parallel parking but I still look where I'm going.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

just curious......

Look back, what is this looking back thing you guys are talking about

I look at my display, and pray it doesnt let me down!!

Actually, Im a combo guy myself...I use the distance control and my mirrors!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Members

My Ride: MY 2008 535i Black Sapphire w/Black Dakota Ltr., 17
Model Year: 2008

just curious......
djdc78,

It is always best to look. Even better, would be to walk behind your vehicle to ensure that there is nothing directly behind it before reversing out of your parking space. Years ago, before PDC, telephone service van drivers were required to place orange cones directly in front of and behind their vehicles when making a service call. Before departing, they would have to pick-up the cones and therefore would have an opportunity to see what was in front of or behind their vehicle before choosing which direction to move in. As one poster has already pointed out, it was also preferable to back-in as the driver would hopefully see any obstacles as they approached the vehicle.

I have a reverse camera on our van but still do the walk around to make sure and look back as I reverse. The camera merely confirms that nothing has changed since I entered the vehicle. This may be "overkill" but this past month in the Greater Toronto Area, we have had three toddlers killed by vehicles driven by their relatives. Not sure we could "live" with that.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: question for those with PDC......