E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question on replacing the valve stem seal due to high oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206
Default Question on replacing the valve stem seal due to high oil consumption

My 2006 N52 525i has been consumed a lot of oil (1l for every 600-700km). I bought the car at 110K kms and it is now nearly 120k kms. I have since replaced all the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, CCV and all the pipes attached to it but yet it still consumes oil ridiculously.

I look carefully under the hood and could not find any signs of oil leak or whatever similar. However the cabin has been filled with oil burnt smell most of the time, especially under hard acceleration so my guess now is the valve stem seals are highly likely the culprit.

I have ordered the valve repair kit from BMW but then my indy advised that I must purchase the cylinder head gasket too replace at the same time since the job requires the cylinder cover to be open. I know this is not a small job but opening cylinder head cover is a different story.

So has anyone experienced doing this job for N52? and if the cylinder head cover must be opened to replace these valve stem seals? I could not find DIY on N52 engine anywhere.

In addition, do I need to clean the intake valve if this oil leak into the intake/exhaust valves has been pertained for a long while? Would seafoam do the job sufficiently?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 05:36 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

These type of engines have the tendency to consume some oil. I have the same engine with 120000km and I have to top up one litre in about 1500km and the car is maintained at a BMW dealer and all is replaced and kept in perfect condition.