E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question regarding Steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I just brought my 530 2005 back from the dealer. My complaint was the famous "lurch" before the car comes to the full stop. Please refer to my another thread "To replace or not to replace".
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=61562

I have a question for you about the steptronic mode. How to engage Steptronic mode? Shift from D to DS and then DS and M2, right?
OK then, when the car is static, right foot on brake, now you are in M2 and then downshift to M1, is it normal to feel the transmission "jerks" a little bit? It also comes with a low bang, not much but just as if you dwonshift a maunal transmission from M2 to M1.

My last car was a E46 323 and I used to play steptronic a lot but cant recall the jerk from 2 to 1. Maybe the E46 gearbox is 5 speed and the E60 is 6 speed?

My goodwill offer (50% part discount for tranny replacement) is due in 3 weeks and I appreciate all your suggestions forme to make the final decision.

thanks!!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Burj530' post='669086' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:37 AM
Guys,

I just brought my 530 2005 back from the dealer. My complaint was the famous "lurch" before the car comes to the full stop. Please refer to my another thread "To replace or not to replace".

I have a question for you about the steptronic mode. How to engage Steptronic mode? Shift from D to DS and then DS and M2, right?
OK then, when the car is static, right foot on brake, now you are in M2 and then downshift to M1, is it normal to feel the transmission "jerks" a little bit? It also comes with a low bang, not much but just as if you dwonshift a maunal transmission from M2 to M1.

My last car was a E46 323 and I used to play steptronic a lot but cant recall the jerk from 2 to 1. Maybe the E46 gearbox is 5 speed and the E60 is 6 speed?

My goodwill offer (50% part discount for tranny replacement) is due in 3 weeks and I appreciate all your suggestions forme to make the final decision.

thanks!!
On the 2008, I only get a jerk on a 2-1 downshift at a light. That only occurs in DS mode. D mode starts in 2nd, avoiding the 2-1.
My 2006 X3 is the 5 speed auto. It's steptronic doesn't have a jerk, although it has other frustrating habits.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

If I'm stationary and shift from 2 to 1, there is a noticeable 'bump' as the car engages 1st on my Steptronic. I'm assuming it's because 1st is the lowest gear and the bump is due to the increased torque. But, I dunno for sure. Always been that way.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='669104' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:19 AM
If I'm stationary and shift from 2 to 1, there is a noticeable 'bump' as the car engages 1st on my Steptronic. I'm assuming it's because 1st is the lowest gear and the bump is due to the increased torque. But, I dunno for sure. Always been that way.
That's exactly what I am meant; the bump when the car is stationary and I shift from M2 to M1.
Apart from checking the transmission (100 USD), the dealer also did "adaptative procedure on the automatic transmission". I took the car for a ride, tried to accelerate and slow down gentlely. To be honest, the famous "lurch" before a full stop is not as noticeable . Not that it is completely gone but it did not occure at ever stop. The bump is also less scary than it was even though I still can feel it.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Yup - mine does that too. It's more of a lurch than a thud or a bump. Totally normal and part of the tranny just resetting to the lower gear/torque setting.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='669104' date='Sep 14 2008, 08:19 AM
+1
Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='669194' date='Sep 14 2008, 02:05 PM
+1

Honestly, when I see that I'm about to stop, I just throw it in neutral to avoid that lurch at the downshift from 2 to 1. After I'm at a complete stop then I put it back into D. Of course if you are stopping at an incline I would not recommend doing that. Other than that, there is no avoiding it... pretty much every car I've ever driven does this although some are a little more noticeable than others. Just try my suggestion b/c I promise it helps 100%... just don't forget to throw it back into D before the light turns green...
Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

That's normal.

Originally Posted by Burj530' post='669086' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:37 AM
Guys,

thanks!!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 530D M-Sport Touring

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but read this post with interest. I have a slightly different problem with my LCI 525d auto. I stop at traffic lights and sit on the brake with it in drive...... after 2-3 mins, when I release the brake, drive takup (with no throttle) is like someone hitting the car from the rear (a real thud). Dealer agreed that it was not right, and after a software reload everyting was OK for about 1000 miles, now its back again.

This is my first steptronic, so would appreciate your views..... or is this just another feature??
Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by garyf' post='711260' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:26 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but read this post with interest. I have a slightly different problem with my LCI 525d auto. I stop at traffic lights and sit on the brake with it in drive...... after 2-3 mins, when I release the brake, drive takup (with no throttle) is like someone hitting the car from the rear (a real thud). Dealer agreed that it was not right, and after a software reload everyting was OK for about 1000 miles, now its back again.

This is my first steptronic, so would appreciate your views..... or is this just another feature??

This is EXACTLY the same issue I am having, its driving me nuts

Quick Reply: Question regarding Steptronic