E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question for the Night Visioners

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Reading a review about the '08 5-series, there were a few lines about the night vision system. The reviewer stated that he could see a truck's tailpipe heat from almost beyond the naked eye visual range. If that is true, have you guys seen any Smokies hiding in the bushes from far off? Far enough out to not get zapped by his radar?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Bad idea.

You would be looking too much at the Bordmonitor and eyes need to be on the road through the windscreen.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Yes and no. Yes, you should be looking out the window. No, you wouldn't be spending too much time looking at the monitor. If you're in the middle of nowhere, I would imagine not much would be showing on the screen. If a bright white blip appears, I'm certain your peripheral vision would pick it up without have to keep looking directly at the monitor.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Can't obsolete the detector -- especially if the cop is just around a bend or over the crest of a hill...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

It would never work. You'd have to almost continuously stare at the NV screen which takes your eyes off the road. If they're hiding behind an obstruction you probably wouldn't see it. I'm also not sure how far away you can see the heat signal.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='501143' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:37 PM
Yes and no. Yes, you should be looking out the window. No, you wouldn't be spending too much time looking at the monitor. If you're in the middle of nowhere, I would imagine not much would be showing on the screen. If a bright white blip appears, I'm certain your peripheral vision would pick it up without have to keep looking directly at the monitor.
Have you driven much with NV?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

I haven't used it at all. I don't have that option. That's why I was wondering.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='501172' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:42 PM
I haven't used it at all. I don't have that option. That's why I was wondering.
It's a pretty cool option but I have not really found it tremendously useful. It does a great job of picking up heat signatures but since it is on the I-Drive screen, you pretty much have to continually be looking at the screen to see what's happening. The best situation to use it is on a dark winding country road - the problem is that is particulary the type of driving where you need to keep your eyes on the road. It would be great if it could somehow be integrated into the HUD. My assessment is high cool factor - not partularly worth the $$$.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='501176' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:56 PM
It's a pretty cool option but I have not really found it tremendously useful. It does a great job of picking up heat signatures but since it is on the I-Drive screen, you pretty much have to continually be looking at the screen to see what's happening. The best situation to use it is on a dark winding country road - the problem is that is particulary the type of driving where you need to keep your eyes on the road. It would be great if it could somehow be integrated into the HUD. My assessment is high cool factor - not partularly worth the $$$.
I agree that it's cool but disagree that it's not useful...

You aren't supposed to look at the screen continually, you're supposed to look at it like you would a mirror. It takes some time to get used to it (in the beginning, you do kind of stare at it a bunch) but once you learn how to use it like another "tool" or driver aid, you'll find it becomes quite useful.

I've also found that it's just as useful in residential or other non-highway applications. On the highway, it's fine but usually there are more pedestrians, etc. nearer to the road in other situations...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

The cops radar gun or laser will pick you speed up before Night Vision can pick up his heat... Get a good Radar detector instead.

Quick Reply: Question for the Night Visioners