E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question about heating in car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i As loaded as it can come...hud, cw package, f/r heated seats, 20 inch oem style 32 (deep dish),conv package, etc. etc..... Mods: smoked side markers, black painted calipers Coming soon:angel eyes, smoked tails, tint, rear tvs, ipod

Hello,
My car's heat works fine when I'm driving but when it's parked or stopped as a light it blows out cool air instead of warm/hot air...like I said before if the car is in motion then everything is fine.
Is this normal or what could be the problem?

Thanks...
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gravedigga
Hello,
My car's heat works fine when I'm driving but when it's parked or stopped as a light it blows out cool air instead of warm/hot air...like I said before if the car is in motion then everything is fine.
Thanks...
It's not unusual for the automatic sensors to detect that the interior temperature of your car changes and that sometimes it feels like cooler air is coming from the dash-level vents. That air is more noticeable to driver and passenger than the floor or windshield air flow. And, in my experience, German Engineered cars often "stratify" air flow by design - I'm told that cooler air (it feels cooler even if it's heated to 70+ degrees because skin temp is 98 degrees*) directed to the driver's face helps with keeping alert??

That said, if the in-car temperature isn't being held at the temperature set and the air feels really cold at all vents (floor, windshield, dash) you probably have a problem with coolant flow - typically indicating thermostat or water pump issue or even something simple like low coolant level.

* This is a common situation for homes that use "heat pumps" ... the air coming from registers feels "cool" - EVEN IN THE COLDEST OF DAYS - because it's not the hot blast people who have other conventional forms of heat (gas / electric / oil). But, in reality, it's the difference between what your skin "feels" ... if the temperature is set at 72 degrees, as long as the register air is above that temperature and flow is adequate the temperature will be maintained - EVEN if it feels "cool/cold to the skin,
Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i As loaded as it can come...hud, cw package, f/r heated seats, 20 inch oem style 32 (deep dish),conv package, etc. etc..... Mods: smoked side markers, black painted calipers Coming soon:angel eyes, smoked tails, tint, rear tvs, ipod

Thanks for info. The heat does really well when I'm driving. I just notice the temperature change when it's not moving. Maybe that's how the system is designed..
Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

I'm having the same problem. 04 545i
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gravedigga
Hello,

Thanks...
Hey bro have the same problem but I'm low on coolant that could be the cause check your coolant if your good on coolant could be thermostat
Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

I have this problem as well...... Do you put your temp on auto?