E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Quest for the perfect smooth shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

All,

I drive a 545i 6-speed and notice that it is geared towards performance. It seems that unless I am speeding through the gears it doesn?t shift as smooth as I would like. Naturally one dose not always want to drive fast - even in this car. I am not sure how much of it is me (I will admit this is the first manual tranny I have had in 10+ years) and how much is the car.

Has any 6-speed drives out there perfected the perfect shift, especially between 2-3? What RPMs do you shift at? I do not have any real problems, just a bet of hesitation and a slightly perceptible jerk as it re-engages.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Dave
Old 07-12-2004, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I have a 6speed 545 and have had the CDV replaced with one that is less restrictive.

You can read some of my experiences in these threads:

http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...pic=1362&hl=cdv

http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...pic=1435&hl=cdv

Now that I've gotten used to the more precise engagement zone, my shifts are nice and smooth.

-MrB
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

I'll be installing the UUC short-shift kit that significantly upgrades the shift feel. The 545 shifts are a bit long for me, and I had the UUC kit in my A6 2.7T. The shifter for the 545 should be ready in a few weeks they tell me. I'll also look at deleting the CD valve as outlined. I'll post comments as soon as I have it installed!
Old 07-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

dflan,

I had a harder time from 1st to 2nd. After a weeks time I worked it outl.

I'm with Mr. Belk, I will be replacing the CDV to extend clutch life and remove the RPM dragging effect when down shifting and among other things I really hate when shifting hard the clutch takes for ever to engage.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Members

Ok, definatly looking into the CDV replacement... but perhaps after my wife gets a bit more used to the clutch.

However, back to the orriginal question: Do you shift at a particular RPM lvl? I am wondering if I am shifting to soon just because of the noise. I moved in the BMW from a very silent Lexus and I have really noticed the engine noise. For normal driving I tend to shift between 2 and 3k RPMs.

Dave
Old 07-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have first-hand experience with CDV deletion but isn't it there to help smooth out shifts? If that's what dflan is looking for, then removing the CDV could cause him more problems.

Is your wife learning to drive a clutch on this car or is the "getting used to the clutch" comment just about her familiarizing herself with this clutch?

If she's simply getting used to the clutch and not actually learning to drive one, and if you are going to remove the CDV, it might make more sense to do it sooner rather than later. Once it's removed, she might have to "get used to it" all over again.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Members

Even for "easy" shifts I wait to 3-4k rpm. This made a big difference in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. For harder driving I shift 4500-6000.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:59 AM
Members

Well, I had the CDV replaced yesterday with one curtisy of David Z racing, and what a difference. The shifts are much smoother, and it has made this wonderful car even more fun to drive.

I high recomend it to anyone who has not done so.

Dave