E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

quarter panel body work

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh I'm an idiot and scraped my garage door corner with my car. It put a sharp dent in the bottom corner of my quarter panel. I don't think it could be popped out since it is so far at
base. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have a q panel replaced? Any estimates would be great.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Members

Picture? Sorry to hear your tuff luck, tuffluck! :-)))
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
Eh I'm an idiot and scraped my garage door corner with my car. It put a sharp dent in the bottom corner of my quarter panel. I don't think it could be popped out since it is so far at
base. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have a q panel replaced? Any estimates would be great.
Hello,

When you say "quarter panel" are you referring to the panels at the rear of the vehicle (behind the doors)? The reason I ask is because alot of people confuse the front fenders with the word quarter panel?

If your referring to the front fender(s) (left or right), OEM list is about 400$, Labor and paint roughly another 4 to 5 hundred. Off the top of my head (having worked in the body industry for over ten years) your looking at a minimum of 800$. that is of course NOT going through BMW (an Independent shop)

If your referring to the Rear Quarter panel, Your looking at big money, a minimum of 2,500$+. Reason being is those panels are spot welded at the factory and require welding and piecing (filling using body filler)1 or more portions of the panels. In addition paint work becomes a bit more complicated due to multiple panel blending.

My suggestion is find a reputable body shop and have them repair the damaged area. Most important is paint work. Always ask about the quality of paint and clear they use. I can tell you first hand that shops like to skimp on refinishing products and use lower quality paints (due to cost) that will look halfway decent for a few months but in time, with the elements will begin looking like crap (shrivel, dull, or yellow out).

If they tell you, They're using the following paint products chances are they will do a quality job:

Spies Heckor
Sikkens
Standox
Glasurit

There are other very popular product lines out there such as DuPont and Sherwin Williams but those product have low-end and higher-end lines, in other words yes they could be using DuPont, however,they may be using the bottom of the line DuPont product, you just don't know.

I've shot many different paints products in my time and I have to say that the 4 mentioned products are far superior than anything else I've used.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Croket
Hello,

When you say "quarter panel" are you referring to the panels at the rear of the vehicle (behind the doors)? The reason I ask is because alot of people confuse the front fenders with the word quarter panel?

If your referring to the front fender(s) (left or right), OEM list is about 400$, Labor and paint roughly another 4 to 5 hundred. Off the top of my head (having worked in the body industry for over ten years) your looking at a minimum of 800$. that is of course NOT going through BMW (an Independent shop)

If your referring to the Rear Quarter panel, Your looking at big money, a minimum of 2,500$+. Reason being is those panels are spot welded at the factory and require welding and piecing (filling using body filler)1 or more portions of the panels. In addition paint work becomes a bit more complicated due to multiple panel blending.

My suggestion is find a reputable body shop and have them repair the damaged area. Most important is paint work. Always ask about the quality of paint and clear they use. I can tell you first hand that shops like to skimp on refinishing products and use lower quality paints (due to cost) that will look halfway decent for a few months but in time, with the elements will begin looking like crap (shrivel, dull, or yellow out).

If they tell you, They're using the following paint products chances are they will do a quality job:

Spies Heckor
Sikkens
Standox
Glasurit

There are other very popular product lines out there such as DuPont and Sherwin Williams but those product have low-end and higher-end lines, in other words yes they could be using DuPont, however,they may be using the bottom of the line DuPont product, you just don't know.

I've shot many different paints products in my time and I have to say that the 4 mentioned products are far superior than anything else I've used.

Hope this helps.
this guy knows his stuff
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Croket
Hello,

Spies Heckor
Sikkens
Standox
Glasurit

Hope this helps.
thank you. yes, unfortunately it is the rear quarter panel behind the rear door (drivers side). the part that fades into the tailights and seems to run over the rear door onto the roof as well.

so you think someone could fix the damaged area without replacing the whole thing? i know i don't have a pic (i'll get one later), i just always assumed if paintless dent repair wasn't an option, you're looking at replacing the whole thing.

thanks for your help.