E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Quarter Mile Race Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Member545' post='353874' date='Nov 8 2006, 06:51 PM
That's interesting you should say go through the water and do a burn out, all the car magazines say to drive around it if you have street tires. It stays in the tread and will drip down on the starting line and you'll just spin.

EDIT: I just found this site that also suggests not using water on street tires, they also say to ditch low profile rubber.
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/dragracingbasics.html
I somewhat agree in warmer weather,but this time of the year with temps below 50F,I think a little heat in the tires helps.Of course I have the goodyear rsa's and they are terrible in cold weather.I tried 2 runs going around the water and 2 runs through the water and the runs with water and a small burnout were best.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='353916' date='Nov 8 2006, 07:34 PM
I somewhat agree in warmer weather,but this time of the year with temps below 50F,I think a little heat in the tires helps.Of course I have the goodyear rsa's and they are terrible in cold weather.I tried 2 runs going around the water and 2 runs through the water and the runs with water and a small burnout were best.
High speed rated tires are designed to dissipate heat, so it could be difficult to get heat into them anyway. Did you try a burnout without the water? They said that can help as well because it cleans the tires.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='353792' date='Nov 8 2006, 12:14 PM
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm taking my 550i to the strip this Sunday to see what kind of time I can get out of her. First time at a sanctioned race course - I'll admit right here that I don't know s#!t. I'm not serious about drag racing my ride - I just want to have some fun and it's also a date with a new girl (who rides a Harley).

In reading the rules if I can turn a 14 ET or better I have to wear a helmet. If slower that 14, I don't need one and I can take my date in the car for the races. Now, the first question is - what kind of time can I expect to see, roughly? Second is will I get the same or better traction at the lights than on bare asphalt or concrete? The car is totally stock, nothing but the sport package. Any advice from you old drag racers would be much appreciated! I'll post my times next week....and a picture of her Harley!
Good luck. I am hoping that you will do your best to get a good time. You'd might get bragging rights around here, and you might be able to record your time/speed as best for a 550i at Dragtimes,com. So,

1. wear a helmet;
2. leave your date on the sideline for most of the races;
3. let air out of your rears (even down to say 20 psi);
4. add air to your fronts up to the max BMW recommends (at least 36 psi);
5. assuming you have a Steptronic, minimize wheel spin by turning DSC and DTC both off and by using no brake torquing if necessary (i.e., you are almost certain to have less traction than on good clean concrete) (to turn them both off, hold the DTC button until the triangles show up in your gage area) (regardless of what tranny you have, minmize wheel spin);
6. do enough of a burn out to get your tires dry (or avoid the water completely if you can);
7. concentrate on the start and not on winning the race (winning the race is irrelevant to your time/speed, and you may foul your starts trying to win the race);
8. use DS, and let the Step shift for itself;
9. run less than 1/4 tank;
10. take your spare out; and
11. let your car cool between passes.

I'll post back if I think of other details. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Member545' post='353994' date='Nov 9 2006, 12:19 AM
High speed rated tires are designed to dissipate heat, so it could be difficult to get heat into them anyway. Did you try a burnout without the water? They said that can help as well because it cleans the tires.
The reason I went through the water is to allow the tires to spin easily,without undue shock and wear on the driveline.Once through the water the tires spin easily.It only takes about 2 seconds to clean the tires and they are completly dry.I found the traction with this method reduced my time from 13.80's to 13.60's.The traction was much better using this method.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by Znod' post='354120' date='Nov 9 2006, 08:53 AM
Good luck. I am hoping that you will do your best to get a good time. You'd might get bragging rights around here, and you might be able to record your time/speed as best for a 550i at Dragtimes,com. So,

1. wear a helmet;
2. leave your date on the sideline for most of the races;
3. let air out of your rears (even down to say 20 psi);
4. add air to your fronts up to the max BMW recommends (at least 36 psi);
5. assuming you have a Steptronic, minimize wheel spin by turning DSC and DTC both off and by using no brake torquing if necessary (i.e., you are almost certain to have less traction than on good clean concrete) (to turn them both off, hold the DTC button until the triangles show up in your gage area) (regardless of what tranny you have, minmize wheel spin);
6. do enough of a burn out to get your tires dry (or avoid the water completely if you can);
7. concentrate on the start and not on winning the race (winning the race is irrelevant to your time/speed, and you may foul your starts trying to win the race);
8. use DS, and let the Step shift for itself;
9. run less than 1/4 tank;
10. take your spare out; and
11. let your car cool between passes.

I'll post back if I think of other details. Good luck.
Great advise Znod...I've made several passes on street tires at your Firebird Raceway! I would go around the water as well and do a dry burn out. The one thing I'd add is to have the date take pictures/video too!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='354292' date='Nov 9 2006, 03:39 PM
Great advise Znod...I've made several passes on street tires at your Firebird Raceway! I would go around the water as well and do a dry burn out. The one thing I'd add is to have the date take pictures/video too!
Thanks. And, wow, you aren't going to hold us in suspense any longer about your times are you. Please, please--an SMG 550i--please, please. Did I say please? If they don't look as good as you think they should, I can adjust them for altitude for you--which I guarantee will make a difference--from Firebird to 500'.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='353792' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:14 PM
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm taking my 550i to the strip this Sunday to see what kind of time I can get out of her.
Well, not this weekend - rained out! Another chance in two weeks so I'll post my times then. Thanks to everyone who replies=d - got a lot of good advice and info.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='355182' date='Nov 12 2006, 05:38 AM
Well, not this weekend - rained out! Another chance in two weeks so I'll post my times then. Thanks to everyone who replies=d - got a lot of good advice and info.
I was looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

My 530D did 1/4 mile in 15.2 @ 100.5 mph
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

That stinks geokr1... maybe next weekend???

We're planning on renting out the track for an event, up to 10 cars can go. Not sure what weekend but we're all getting excited. Should be my 545, a 335, which btw did 13.3 on Wednesday, 2 E55's, the Dually a 350Z and not sure who else. Will have video and pics. Going to use Znod's pointers.

Quick Reply: Quarter Mile Race Questions