E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puzzling Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i (everything), 08 Corvette (4LT, F55, MN6, NPP)

Hi guys,

I've been driving a 545i I inherited for about a month now and love it. Great car that makes driving a lot of fun.

I thought I'd post something I observed that's strange. My car has the HUD option which I really like. Unfortunately when I wear polarized sunglasses, it's invisible!

The real head scratcher though is I also own an 08 Corvette with a HUD and the same pair of sunglasses has no effect on its HUD at all!

Seems to me to be a pretty big design blunder to specify the wrong polarization for the HUD for use with polarized sunglasses. BTW, I had noticed a similar flaw with the radio display for non i-Drive 3 series I test drove a couple years ago...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by russ_777
Hi guys,

I've been driving a 545i I inherited for about a month now and love it. Great car that makes driving a lot of fun.

I thought I'd post something I observed that's strange. My car has the HUD option which I really like. Unfortunately when I wear polarized sunglasses, it's invisible!

The real head scratcher though is I also own an 08 Corvette with a HUD and the same pair of sunglasses has no effect on its HUD at all!

Seems to me to be a pretty big design blunder to specify the wrong polarization for the HUD for use with polarized sunglasses. BTW, I had noticed a similar flaw with the radio display for non i-Drive 3 series I test drove a couple years ago...

I noticed it a few months ago and I've had my car 2 years. Def a flaw!