E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Putting the Car in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to accelerate whenever I am the first one at a traffic light so one could say that I am not the most fuel efficient driver. But I am trying to better my ways . I recently started putting the car into neutral (I have an auto tranny) whenever I saw a red light a few hundred yards away. So my car doesn't downshift while I am braking, plus the car brakes much more gracefully. I see the needle go all the way to the left when I pop it in neutral. So my question is if the clutch get's damaged when you pop it in and out. I only put it back into drive when my car is completely stopped.

Thank you.

-Krozi
Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 550i

A friend of mine's father destroyed an Audi A6 auto tranny (and you know trannies can't be fixed, you have to buy a new one) by putting it into neutral on red lights because he was too lazy to press on the brake all the time, so I don't think this is really a great idea.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='698306' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:07 PM
I like to accelerate whenever I am the first one at a traffic light so one could say that I am not the most fuel efficient driver. But I am trying to better my ways . I recently started putting the car into neutral (I have an auto tranny) whenever I saw a red light a few hundred yards away. So my car doesn't downshift while I am braking, plus the car brakes much more gracefully. I see the needle go all the way to the left when I pop it in neutral. So my question is if the clutch get's damaged when you pop it in and out. I only put it back into drive when my car is completely stopped.

Thank you.

-Krozi
Since you're driving an "automatic", best to leave it is D or DS.

The transmission will work as intended, you are less likely to harm the transmission, and you are more likely to be able to drive the car should an emergent situation jump out at you.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='698306' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:07 PM

Thank you.

-Krozi
I've always heard that you should never put an auto tranny in neutral, while the car is moving. The consensus is that it will wear out the transmission prematurely and the only fix is going to be full replacement.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

The general rule from those that know about Roadcraft is that you should never coast in neutral.

With an Auto 'box, you may get lubrication problems if you do if often enough - it may tell you in your handbook if you can tow your car. If it says there is a restriction, or you can't tow it at all (without raising the rear wheels), then you could be causing some long term damage (although the rest of the car may be scrap before it shows itself!).

You should always put your car into neutral when you stop with an Auto 'box. The drag can cause wear in the gearbox as it tries to "creep" against the brakes. Again, this would be a long term problem. Genreal Motors (in Europe anyway) had enough problems with this to put an interlock on their Autos so if you were stopped with the brake on and in gear, the 'box would automatically go into neutral.

If you coast in neutral, you are actually using more fuel than if you were slowing down with your foot off the throttle.

The above notwithstanding, you probably won't see any reliability problems or increase in fuel costs doing what you do. Drive however you think comfortable, but it is good practice to be in a gear whilst moving in case of unforeseen circumstances. Also, in icy conditions, the car will slow down safer with the engine "connected" than by just using brakes alone.

Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I guess I won't be putting it in neutral anymore . Thanks for the fast response.

One more question, Is it bad if you constantly drive the car in Manual Mode? Is it bad if I got up to 5000rpm in first gear?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I never put an auto tranny in neutral, while the car is moving or not moving.
this goes for all my cars.
I would always leave it in D
Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributors

The joys of buying a used car
Old 10-21-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='698619' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:43 AM
The joys of buying a used car
Haha. So I should avoid using the manual mode?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='698415' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:19 PM
I guess I won't be putting it in neutral anymore . Thanks for the fast response.

One more question, Is it bad if you constantly drive the car in Manual Mode? Is it bad if I got up to 5000rpm in first gear?
Reving up to 5k in first gear.. how can that be bad for the car?? As long as you stay below the redline i'd think it wouldnt be bad at all.. someone correct me if im wrong.

Quick Reply: Putting the Car in Neutral