E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pushed the start button and ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='631887' date='Jul 24 2008, 06:56 PM
Bummer ... it's probably a dead battery.

Your car was out of service for a long time while having body work done. If the battery drained down and they charged it would be fine for a while ... but that just can't resuscitate a flat battery. It will almost certainly fail prematurely.

Man... I hope that's all it is. I thought if it were the battery that it would have happened much closer to the time of me getting my car back not 2+months down the road. No?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='631883' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:52 PM
To be honest... the car thing is not that bad, it's just the fact that I am stuck here doing nothing in my office after a pretty rough day.

Ok.... I will stop bitching now and continue to .... wait.

Greetings:

I have a 2006 Porsche C2S...never a problem. I also have a 2004 MBW 525i..it's been in the shop at least 10 days each year. Seens to me ( us ) for my ( our ) $50K or more bucks BMW would have fewer problem..BIG problems like not starting. Is BMW listening?????

Chromedome
North County San Diego
Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='631892' date='Jul 24 2008, 06:59 PM
Man... I hope that's all it is. I thought if it were the battery that it would have happened much closer to the time of me getting my car back not 2+months down the road. No?
Sort of reminds me of the guy who has a complete physical ... passes with flying colors ... two months later has a fatal coronary!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

So BMW Roadside arrived 2 hours after my call. They were able to jump start the car right away. When I got in there was the warning triangle and message on iDrive said "Increased battery discharge" so I drove staight to the dealership and dropped it off. I thought for sure that if I went home and tried to start it tomorrow morning that I would have no luck. Obviously a battery problem, but wonder why it drained?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='631966' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:06 AM
So BMW Roadside arrived 2 hours after my call. They were able to jump start the car right away. When I got in there was the warning triangle and message on iDrive said "Increased battery discharge" so I drove staight to the dealership and dropped it off. I thought for sure that if I went home and tried to start it tomorrow morning that I would have no luck. Obviously a battery problem, but wonder why it drained?

Hi,

I've had the same problem - the only thing the dealer said "We have to change the battery" - this was a four month ago. Batteryeye is black again today.

Just be cautious, check the battery in the next few weeks, so you don't have the same problem as me - my dealer said "It was your fault" he won't change the battery in warranty.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by javelin73' post='632496' date='Jul 25 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi,

I've had the same problem - the only thing the dealer said "We have to change the battery" - this was a four month ago. Batteryeye is black again today.

Just be cautious, check the battery in the next few weeks, so you don't have the same problem as me - my dealer said "It was your fault" he won't change the battery in warranty.

How did he explain it to be your fault? I have nothing plugged into my car at all. No iPod, phone charger, nothing. Something drained my battery, but it certainly was not my doing. I got a call today and then said that they will not have time to look at my car until Monday.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Perhaps a trickle charger may help prevent further issues?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530dA, Nav. Pro., Leather redorange, black sappire met., HUD, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Sunroof, AC, Bi-Xenon/Adaptive, 245 275 19" with Falken 452's, Alpina Rims, el. Seats, autom. Mirrors, BMW Cellphone, CD Changer, M Style, Interior wood border oliv (M5), LED tail lights...

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='632499' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:05 PM
How did he explain it to be your fault? I have nothing plugged into my car at all. No iPod, phone charger, nothing. Something drained my battery, but it certainly was not my doing. I got a call today and then said that they will not have time to look at my car until Monday.

He said I forgot the light or did not close the boot, the i-pod, or, or, or - it wasen't a explaination, he just took the fault on me, because normaly he had to check my car after installing a new battery - but he didn't, so BMW will not pay him the warranty.

I didn't know, that he had to check my car, elsewise I had complained

Status is, car is running, but half an hour ignition without engine I will get message in i drive.

pfffff I live with it
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by javelin73' post='632790' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:25 PM
He said I forgot the light or did not close the boot, the i-pod, or, or, or - it wasen't a explaination, he just took the fault on me, because normaly he had to check my car after installing a new battery - but he didn't, so BMW will not pay him the warranty.

I didn't know, that he had to check my car, elsewise I had complained

Status is, car is running, but half an hour ignition without engine I will get message in i drive.

pfffff I live with it
Did they check the entire charging system to make sure that it wasn't a problem with the alternator or a belt that's been worn/snaped?? Replacing the battery is the easiest thing to do, but not necessarily the right thing. And it seems like in your case the problem might not be the battery.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Here's the verdict:

Got the call just now from the SA and he basically said that I am not driving the car enough. I drive the car daily, but the trips are short (5-10 miles). My commute to both of my offices is short and my wife likes to take the SUV (we have a 2 yr old daughter) when we go on trips. I have nothing plugged into the car, but I do use the auto ventilation option often since it has been so hot lately. Could this (auto vent) be enough in conjunction with my short drives to cause the problem?
He recommended a trickle charger if my driving habits stay the same. Does anyone have one? If so, easy to hook up and use? Cost? Best place to buy? He said they have the charger there for about $70.

Quick Reply: Pushed the start button and ....