E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Purchasing a Certified Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

The most important thing to remember is,regardless of how big a dealership is and how courteous the sales person is, they will always try to screw you of what ever they could. Don't forget one thing, once the car is sold,you are on your own.

I have bought enough certified cars in the past including my recent purchase of an 07 530i with 18,000 miles,to have finally figured out how to check out a used car especially a CPO one.

Certified cars:

CPO cars are nothing special,they are just like any other used cars. People think certification process will take care of the brakes,fluid changes and other maintainence items but it doesn't. Don't be surprised,when with in few thousand miles,your idrive lights up with a maintenence warning.

To tell you the truth,they will only change/replace something that obviously needs attention. They will also certify a car with painted panels Bottom line is, buy a CPO car just like you would any other used car. Consider CPO cars as having an extended warranty. To tell you the truth,i would rahter buy an after market extended warranty as certification doesn't even cover the IDrive/Navigation and few other items.

Any ways, now that you are aware of what a CPO car is,here is how you should proceed with the purchase process.

1)-Start by a phone conversation then move to email so that you have every thing documented. This way they won't be able to change their statements.

2-Get a Service history on the car. Have the sales guy email you the documents so that you have them as records.

3)-Have them check out the paint via Paint meter... If they don't have it,make them take the car to another dealer and have them send you the numbers.

How to take the paint meter reading:

Make sure all the panels are divided into 4 sections so that if they have blended the paint into the adjacent panel,it's still picked up. Don't forget to have the bumpers metered as well or else you could have problems with paint/clear peeling in few months.

4)-Review the picts especially the interior.. The picts should always be taken in a day light.

5)- Once,the above steps are done and you like the car,make an offer and agree on a price.

6)- Even though you are excited about the car but please go slow. Never ever show your excitment to these sales people.

Now the most important final steps: and this is once you have agreed on the price. Make sure this is the last step so that you have the bargaining leverage ...

7)- Have the sales guy check the tire tread depth and also check the car's computer and to tell you when is the next oil/filters/brakes,transmission and other maintenence items due.

Depending on what the iDrive and tires measurements are,negotiate the price further.

8-Get a copy of the tittle and make sure there is no Lein on it.

9)- They will most likely make you put down a Deposit.. Always have something in writing like " If the car is not how it was described " or "should you decide to not purchase the car" the deposit will be refundable.

This post is for general information only.

Hope it helps all the prospective future buyers

Feel free to add if i have forgotten something.

7)-