E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Purchasing a 535i that is a 'buy-back'

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

There is a local dealer near me that seems to specialize in these 'buy-backs'. We are looking at this 2009 535i that is in great shape and very good price (loaded, 26k miles, $32k asking) and it has the CPO warranty. This is in the description "BMW of North America graciously re-purchased this vehicle while under factory warranty due to California warranty law because of a customer complaint. BMW of North America replaced the injectors and the decoupling element. Save thousands by buying a manufacturer buyback from BMW that they stand behind with the full remainder of the BMW Certified Pre-owned Warranty and Free Scheduled Maintenance through 3/27/2015 or 100k Miles."

If this is correct that it includes full CPO AND free maintenance...isnt this a no brainer? Or would I have issues reselling in 4-5 years due to the title that has a 'buy back' on it?

thx
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i have bought cars in the past that were buy-backs.....no issues at all. most times a buy back is a customer who just didnt have their issue solved to their liking and elected their rights to return the car. the manufacturer does a complete overhaul/inspection....slaps a warranty on it a voila!

if its CPO roll with it...just my two cents....when it comes time for resale i doubt it will matter much esp if u own it for year after year after year w/o major issue
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
There is a local dealer near me that seems to specialize in these 'buy-backs'. We are looking at this 2009 535i that is in great shape and very good price (loaded, 26k miles, $32k asking) and it has the CPO warranty. This is in the description "BMW of North America graciously re-purchased this vehicle while under factory warranty due to California warranty law because of a customer complaint. BMW of North America replaced the injectors and the decoupling element. Save thousands by buying a manufacturer buyback from BMW that they stand behind with the full remainder of the BMW Certified Pre-owned Warranty and Free Scheduled Maintenance through 3/27/2015 or 100k Miles."

If this is correct that it includes full CPO AND free maintenance...isnt this a no brainer? Or would I have issues reselling in 4-5 years due to the title that has a 'buy back' on it?

thx
The buy back cars are a good deal but you have to keep them, for the exact same reason in your last sentence. The buy back issue is often covered under a 100.000 mile/ ten year warranty but from what I've seen, they are not eligible for a full CPO car warranty through BMW but you can always get one if you want it through a private company. The remaining 50.000 mile warranty remains in place
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

I would look at it this way...

1) Treat this like any used car purchase. Look over the vehicle well. Make sure you are comfortable with the condition of the vehicle. Has it been maintained well?, Has it ever had any body work and if so was it done correctly?
2) Are you getting a significant discount due to the fact that the title is branded (manufacturer buyback which is considered a lemon)?

In most states the branded title will remain with the vehicle for the life of the car. You most likely will not be able to trade it to a new car dealer (most of them won't touch a branded title car -- obviously the selling dealer would take it back on trade since they specialize in these vehicles but not every dealer will) but you can certainly sell it on your own.

If it were me and the car met my expectations I would definitely buy it.

I'm sure you will get many different opinions. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Members

I will have to ask on the CPO question. I assumed per that description it was a full CPO car...if the CPO only covers the injectors and whatever else was replaced, that is a completely different deal.

thx
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
I will have to ask on the CPO question. I assumed per that description it was a full CPO car...if the CPO only covers the injectors and whatever else was replaced, that is a completely different deal.

thx
I was reading the post again, and it looks like if the CPO was purchased at the time of the car then I too would think that its still available. I've heard if there was no CPO purchased and then you buy a buy back, the car is not eligible for the purchase of the CPO. Do you have the VIN?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I was reading the post again, and it looks like if the CPO was purchased at the time of the car then I too would think that its still available. I've heard if there was no CPO purchased and then you buy a buy back, the car is not eligible for the purchase of the CPO. Do you have the VIN?
Sent PM
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Rez
Members

My Ride: PHINEASS. 2008 535i Alpine White/ Light Beige Dakota/ Dark Poplar with Sports, Premium, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Ipod & USB, Legal Tinted, All Weather Front, Rear and Trunk mats, Detailed and Clay Treated.
Model Year: 2008

I wouldnt think BMW USA will cover this car under their CPO warranty. They are very picky about which cars qualify for them to CPO.

IMHO you should be able to get a non buy back car if you pay about 3K more. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Members

If you are looking at buyback, you may want to consider this car from www.donohooauto.com:

http://www.donohooauto.com/web/used/...abama/2691629/

It is a 2009 535i with 33K miles for $25,698 (internet price).

A friend of mine bought a buyback from these guys last year and he is very happy with his purchase.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i 20"Concept One / C F Emblems / JB4 / M5 Front / R1 Concept Rotors / Vorsteiner Spoiler (waiting on...)

I purchased my 2008 535 from a dealer in Atlanta, and was a "buy-back" car... Most states vary in "lemon laws", namely California. It seems that their laws are more aggresive in terms of the vehicle being serviced for the same reason without a fix. Other states seem to play the longer-term game to actually get a court to hear a lemon case... I've had mine since July 2011, and have never had any troubles whatsoever. The local dealer is aware of the car and it's history, but treats it as just another CPO car they service daily. I feel the only drawback to this scenario is that if you were to rid the car via a dealer, they will most likely bring it up in terms of trade value. It would be better to sell to a private buyer who has common sense and the knowledge to know what they are buying......Also installed a juicebox last month, and the thing is scary fast!

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 535i that is a 'buy-back'