E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Purchased 2004 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Hello,

A few of you have given me some advice with the purchase of this very car. Yesterday I flew to Edmonton and drove it back to Vancouver. It's an '04 545i, black on cream, manual transmission, sport, cold weather, premium sound, and a couple other minor options. I used to own an E32 740i several years ago so the 5 feels familiar but better in every way. Actually, I am very impressed with the comfort features and handling. It's quick too but I've spent the last few years on a sport bike so I wouldn't call it fast. I need to fix a couple minor issues (like refurbishing the vacuum pump) and I have some mods in mind: m6 wheels, black kidney grills, short shifter, possibly a trunk lip.

I've got a tonne of questions which I'm researching now:

The park distance control is a little silly that it's range begins around 0.5m - I can judge that easily without sensors, it would make a lot more sense for them to work in the 0-1 m range. Any way to mod this?

I also found the passenger airbag deactivated light, as well as the blinking led for auto headlights to be too bright and distracting. Any better options than 'tinting' them with a felt pen?

I'd like to get bluetooth working. The car was built in '03, but came with the BMW mobile phone (the cradle in the center console is still there, but the phone is non existent.) Do I still need a newer TCU and dealer programming or is there an easier way in this instance?

I'd also like to get some ipod functionality, but don't want to spend $500+ on it, so I need to look into auxilary inputs or fm transmitters

Anyway I'm really glad to have such a great resource here. When I used to be into supra's there was a really great community and I missed that with the 7 series, you were pretty much on your own with any problems!
Attached Thumbnails Purchased 2004 545i-p8073429.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Senior Members

Congrats on the purchase...gotta love that V-8 power.

BTW, double check the blinking led for the auto headlight, it usually means something is wrong with the auto adjustment and it's not moving with the steering wheel (assuming you have adaptive headlight). Hopefully it's not serious but in most cases, headlight replacement is the only solution.

As for the IPOD, go for the aux input so down the line you may be able to add the external video module. That and FM transmitter's audio sucks.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Those wheels don't look right for a 545i sport. They should be 124's (at least in the US). Maybe Canada is different. They look more like 138's,...
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Welcome to the fold. Just curious, how many miles on the car when you bought it?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Welcome.
Nice ride. Just get some nice wheel under it..

Ps. Here is alot of santa's little helpers if you have any problems just post it and im sure ppl will help..
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

re: wheels...yea those def are not the right wheels that come stock on the 545i here in north america...perhaps a previous owner swapped them out...

welcome to the forum....there is another member who's having the same headlight problem....do a search and maybe the two of you can find a solution together...(search first) start threads if you have any questions or problems....the forum is (generally) VERY helpful. enjoy!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by mullenc525
Hello,

A few of you have given me some advice with the purchase of this very car. Yesterday I flew to Edmonton and drove it back to Vancouver. It's an '04 545i, black on cream, manual transmission, sport, cold weather, premium sound, and a couple other minor options. I used to own an E32 740i several years ago so the 5 feels familiar but better in every way. Actually, I am very impressed with the comfort features and handling. It's quick too but I've spent the last few years on a sport bike so I wouldn't call it fast. I need to fix a couple minor issues (like refurbishing the vacuum pump) and I have some mods in mind: m6 wheels, black kidney grills, short shifter, possibly a trunk lip.

I've got a tonne of questions which I'm researching now:

The park distance control is a little silly that it's range begins around 0.5m - I can judge that easily without sensors, it would make a lot more sense for them to work in the 0-1 m range. Any way to mod this?

I also found the passenger airbag deactivated light, as well as the blinking led for auto headlights to be too bright and distracting. Any better options than 'tinting' them with a felt pen?

I'd like to get bluetooth working. The car was built in '03, but came with the BMW mobile phone (the cradle in the center console is still there, but the phone is non existent.) Do I still need a newer TCU and dealer programming or is there an easier way in this instance?

I'd also like to get some ipod functionality, but don't want to spend $500+ on it, so I need to look into auxilary inputs or fm transmitters

Anyway I'm really glad to have such a great resource here. When I used to be into supra's there was a really great community and I missed that with the 7 series, you were pretty much on your own with any problems!
Hey, congrats on the purchase! I have the same car but with the Auburn interior.

Regarding the parking distance control it not only tells you distance by the intensity of the sound but where the obstruction is by what speaker the sound comes out of.

The Airbag deactivated light will only be on when you do not have a passenger. The minute a passenger sits in the seat it should activate the airbag. My light is a red color and quite honestly I dont even notice it...

As for the blinking green LED near the headlamp switch, you have a faulty active headlamp. Do a search as this a a very common and expensive issue to have. If a new headlamp is required you may be looking at $1200-$1600 for replacement.

I have the 124's and love them but they are succeptable to cracking...

I have an AUX Input and love it... I know others have complained about the sound but I have experienced no shortage of volume, clarity or bass. It rocks.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Yeah, I noticed the wheels were the 17's after I bought it. Not sure about that, I suspect they are easier to find snows for 17s and the car was originally sold in northern canada.

I know that airbag deactivated light will go out with a passenger, but I find it too bright on its own. Ill have to tint it. Felt pen time!

Regarding the headlights, I suspected the adaptive's were not working. I'll ask BMW about the codes and see whether its a hardware or software problem.

I just learned of the BTUM which may work for me since I have the phone cradle in my center console. I am also looking into this TCU recall - I'm not sure if my car was included but maybe I'll get lucky and get a new TCU.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Style 138? 545i?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Grats on a real beauty. Prepare to be addicted to modding, especially if you traverse these boards!

Quick Reply: Purchased 2004 545i