E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puncture Warning (but no puncture)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

was driving yesterday when I got the Puncture error pop up on screen - I continued on for around 80km to check the pressure but to my surprise (and delight) there was still full pressure in all four tyres. I tried to reset the RFT indicator again but no matter how long I left it for , it never fully initialised. It just said "Initialising...." . In the end I gave up and drove on. I presume it is just an error in the software or something?

Anyone had similar problems?

Cheers
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

check the pressur of all 4 wheels and reset the computer after you put air in all 4 wheels.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

False alarms can happen if you hit the sidewalk or spinn the wheels. The system is not perfect as it doesn't have a transponder in the rim as some other cars have. But it's nice and simple.

The initialization of the puncture warning doesn't give you a confirmation when it's done. You just start the initialization and drive for a while.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Members

Cool good to hear - well I'll keep an eye on the pressure for the next few days anyway
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

I was in NY last weekend with my friend and we were getting the warning on his car every 130-150 miles. It's been doing that for about a week and later found out that he lost about 10 psi in his tires. we thought it was the tire, and when he got it checked, the tires were completely fine. The problem was that he had cracked all 4 rims while in NY. They werent big cracks, but enough to have a leak and pop up the flat tire warning. so if it keeps happening, have your rims checked.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Bazzman' post='398598' date='Mar 5 2007, 09:06 AM
Hi all

was driving yesterday when I got the Puncture error pop up on screen - I continued on for around 80km to check the pressure but to my surprise (and delight) there was still full pressure in all four tyres. I tried to reset the RFT indicator again but no matter how long I left it for , it never fully initialised. It just said "Initialising...." . In the end I gave up and drove on. I presume it is just an error in the software or something?

Anyone had similar problems?

Cheers

After resetting the indictaor it can take up to 30 miles to fully reset.
If you check the i-drive screen it will continue to say 'initialising' and when fully reset will switch to 'active'

Just be patient, if you only do short trips it might take a day or two.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Happened to me almost daily in slippry winter conditions, but after upgrading to Progman 19.2
it didn't happen that often.

The car has be be stand still when resetting the iDrive.

PS. With summer RF's it has only happened once!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bosg' post='398677' date='Mar 5 2007, 11:18 PM
I was in NY last weekend with my friend and we were getting the warning on his car every 130-150 miles. It's been doing that for about a week and later found out that he lost about 10 psi in his tires. we thought it was the tire, and when he got it checked, the tires were completely fine. The problem was that he had cracked all 4 rims while in NY. They werent big cracks, but enough to have a leak and pop up the flat tire warning. so if it keeps happening, have your rims checked.
all 4wheels cracked were did you guy drive off road
were the wheels OEM or reps?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

yeah crazy, all 4 rims. there are some nasty bumps on I-95 in NY. theyre really hard to notice cuz we were driving at night. they almost felt like small speed bumps. he got the 5.45 with OEM rims.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bosg' post='399009' date='Mar 6 2007, 02:31 PM
yeah crazy, all 4 rims. there are some nasty bumps on I-95 in NY. theyre really hard to notice cuz we were driving at night. they almost felt like small speed bumps. he got the 5.45 with OEM rims.
wow that says it all about OEM wheels not just reps are bad then

Quick Reply: Puncture Warning (but no puncture)