E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puncture near sidewall, am I SOL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puncture near sidewall, am I SOL?

I just found a puncture near my sidewall this morning, (see pic.) took it to a local tire shop and they plugged it. My question: is this considered the sidewall, far shoulder? Is it still in the safe zone? Im not sure yet and would like answers from some of you that knows about tires. Ive ran approx 30 miles after plugg and all is well, but im not sure if I should keep driving it that way or replace the tire ($450) going on a road trip next saturday (approx 550 miles)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Puncture near sidewall, am I SOL?-img_6766.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Members

oh, btw, the tire is a michelin pilot spor ps2 Zero pressure, if that helps
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

If that were my tire, I would replace it. It's too close to the sidewall to patch. Plugs are a band-aid fix, don't rely on it for long term use.

Just my $.02.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

Most tire shops will tell you to replace it as thats where they make their money. A good plug that is done right should last for quite a long time, at least that has been my experience. With that said I am in Illinois and it doesn't get as hot up here as Texas where you are at. As long as you did the plug right (bored out the hole, inserted plug and water leak tested) I think you should be fine but I wouldn't be setting the cruise at 100 on this upcoming trip either...
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Assuming it's a reputable shop, and they don't want to get sued if the tire fails after they repair it, then they should know whether or not it was safe to repair. Only you can answer that part; but since they repaired it, then I would say you're good to go. I once had a RFT on my 545i repaired (against BMW recommendations) and ran it hard (track days) without any ill effects.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

I live in NY and have plugged many of my tires and never had any kind of issues with them . IMO you will be fine .
Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I would take it to a shop and have them patch it from the inside. I would not trust that plug. The bad part I am very surprised they even plugged it. Most tire shops would not take that liability and tell you no and to replace the tire.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

The wound (puncture) is located at a juncture (side wall or closed to side wall) where it bends, twists and takes the the most beating. Therefore, another flat or pop is most likely. Increase your life insurance coverage (figure of speech) and make sure you have a beneficiary if you want to chance it over $400.

I think even a $50 used tire will be safer than the one you have right now. Sorry to be a party pooper.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Exclamation RFT Repair

I agree that a properly plugged RFT is serviceable BUT the location of this puncture is at a place in the tire's construction that makes it NON-REPARABLE ... even with a combination plug / patch (IMHO the ONLY way a tire puncture should be done).

This part of the tire receives a higher percentage of the stress when cornering - as a rule a reputable tire shop will not service a tire where the puncture is in the outer tread sections and this one is almost in the sidewall!

Sorry to give you the bad news but this is a tire that should be replaced.Worst case = IF for any reason the tire fails and an accident results ... and the proximate cause of the accident is determined to be the tire ... it's possible (however remote) that your insurance company - the other parties' insurance company - a lawyer/judge/jury - could find you (and anyone involved in this repair) negligent.

Replace the tire!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

Discount tire direct has a tire sale $560 for 4 Continentals with $50 mail in rebate and $100 adidas gift card... so that will take you to $410 you can have 4 tires and about $100 for installation... depending on how old your tires are.. this could be a good option... I just got these and they are great!!

Quick Reply: Puncture near sidewall, am I SOL?