E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems with my 530.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i bitched about this a few months ago. When i start the car it revs up to about 1.5k-2k. It does this nearly every cold start for about 10 seconds. This only happens on cold starts. It has been happening almost every day. I had delt with it a few months ago and took the car to the dealer multiple times. Of course they couldnt duplicate the problem the first two times. The third time they did feel it and they said they thought it was a software problem and it needed updating. Well its back and worse than ever. Yesturday after sitting all day at school i went outside to leave. Started the car, put it in reverse and BAM it died. I started it right up and the car ran fine after that.

I dont know anything about engines and stuff like this but what kind of problem does this seem like? When the car revs it seems like it is doing it because the car is getting ready to die so it compensates by reving up to keep the car running.

My car is out of the regular 4 year no maintenance program but is cpo'd so i have the 6 year 100k. Im taking the car in Wednesday night. It will sit there all night so when they look at it thursday it will be on a cold start.

Are they going to try and blame this on my k&n filter or the exhaust?

Any help, opinions, or personal experiences welcome. Thanks

ps. The car's oil was changed last feb. It has less than 5k on it since the oil change. Im going to get it changed early so i dont have to deal with another trip to the dealer. didnt know if this info could help someone diagnosing the problem...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

it could be anything. did u try cleaning the MAF yet?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1051698' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:04 PM
it could be anything. did u try cleaning the MAF yet?
No. I was going to but then i read some horror stories of people screwing their maf up. Didnt want to do it after that.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

+1

My guess would be a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor or a clog in your fuel line/filter
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1051702' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:10 PM
+1

My guess would be a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor or a clog in your fuel line/filter
Im going to take out the k&n before it goes to the dealer. I dont need to give them any reason to try and screw me over on the cpo warranty. I also took the car in 4 times (3 to one dealer, and 1 time to another dealer) for this problem BEFORE the 4 year was up. The SA said the only thing i would be paying for was the oil change. Obviously i knew that because the 4 year was over.

99 bucks for the oil change seems pretty cheap imo.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had this happen on my e46 a while back, and it turned out to be a O2 sensor (can't remember if it was the pre cat sensor or the post cat sensor). I would start the car and the revs would go bounce up and down like it was trying to keep the car from stalling. The dealer changed out my sensors and cleaned the MAF and all was good after that.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Brett, have you tried to use Sea Foam engine cleaner? It will clean your fuel injectors and will help with your bad idle.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1051708' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:15 PM
I had this happen on my e46 a while back, and it turned out to be a O2 sensor (can't remember if it was the pre cat sensor or the post cat sensor). I would start the car and the revs would go bounce up and down like it was trying to keep the car from stalling. The dealer changed out my sensors and cleaned the MAF and all was good after that.
I have the service records to prove i took the car in before the exhaust was put off for this same problem. It would be impossible for them to blame the exhaust.

Hopefully it is an easy fix with the sensors and the maf.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='1051711' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:21 PM
Brett, have you tried to use Sea Foam engine cleaner? It will clean your fuel injectors and will help with your bad idle.
I have not. I havent ever heard of Sea Foam engine cleaner. I will look into it after the dealer visit. Hopefully i will have an answer by this saturday. They are going to work on it Thursday. Give them a few days and see what they can come up with.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1051723' date='Nov 10 2009, 11:39 AM
I have the service records to prove i took the car in before the exhaust was put off for this same problem. It would be impossible for them to blame the exhaust.

Hopefully it is an easy fix with the sensors and the maf.
That issue happened to my car after I installed the xhaust and CAI and they still covered it under the CPO warranty so I think you should be ok (hopefully your dealer is as nice as mine )

Quick Reply: Problems with my 530.