E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problems with the car stability

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='710382' date='Nov 2 2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds to me like you are using runflat tyres and they are worn out and due to be replaced. I had the same experience after havinf done 20K miles on my car and thought it was the suspension. BMW said it was the tracking and duly charged me to adjust this but it turned out to be worn runflats. They say that after 15k they should be replaced.
no mr_grinche, i do not have RFT ... unfortunately
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Members

I had a similar problem recently after changing my rear tyres (rft), turns out they werent balanced properly
Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by Bazzman' post='711722' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:33 AM
I had a similar problem recently after changing my rear tyres (rft), turns out they werent balanced properly
Had similar problems a few months ago..
Balance and Rotate/Remount your tires
Do your alignment - people forget this and it is critical with every tyre rotation IMHO. You should see the Toe/Camber readings to see how off you can get in just 5K miles...
Oh..yes..and I do rotate and have had no issues with doing this even though I know BMW doesn't reccommend it...
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='711836' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:38 AM
Had similar problems a few months ago..
Balance and Rotate/Remount your tires
Do your alignment - people forget this and it is critical with every tyre rotation IMHO. You should see the Toe/Camber readings to see how off you can get in just 5K miles...
Oh..yes..and I do rotate and have had no issues with doing this even though I know BMW doesn't reccommend it...
thank you subarashi, i have had the alignment done in July when i had that problem with the summer tires and i have put the winter ones. I had the feeling that the car was pushing in left side and i had the angles done. maybe the mechanic didn't do it well and now i have these problems?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

I only get this feeling when going at high speeds past 80mph passing other cars. So you only get the feeling when your passing other cars?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

it's probably that weight and size of the car.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='712065' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:56 PM
I only get this feeling when going at high speeds past 80mph passing other cars. So you only get the feeling when your passing other cars?
80 mp/h that would be around 130 km/h ... i could definitely say that when i pass 120km/h i can feel that. and at 200km/h the feeling passing a truck is quite horrible. i really have to keep the steering wheel really tight.
i hope the tires are the problem and when i will change them the problem will be solved. i hope...
but i still do not understand why this situation was not present there at the beginning...
Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

unfortunately tires do not always wear evenly, and it's necessary to balance in between changes. this could be due to alignment, road contours, driving habits, so many factors. but definitely sounds like a problem with tire/wheel balance.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by giorgioand' post='707029' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:46 AM
I have the car for about 8 months now. At the beginning the feeling in the car was great... but for the last 2 or 3 months the car doesn't have the same stability as before. it feels wobbly when i pass a bigger car like a TIR or a VAN and it feels like i do not have control over the steering wheel(i am exaggerating the feeling so you could understand better what it feels).
It is like the car is going from a side to another if i do not correct the direction with the steering wheel.
The mechanic said that nothing is wrong with the mechanical part under the car and also the steering wheel has it's movement in it's good limits. He said that i should change the tires. because i got into winter tires sooner... that is because of an unfortunately event(i found one morning 2 of my tires chopped with a knife or something).

So, if any of you would have any idea about what would be the problem i would appreciate an answer.

Thank you very much.
I have been getting similar symptoms to yourself over the last couple of weeks, ive just had the wheel balance checked to find they were miles out, like 200 grammes on the back and 80 g on the front. The balance was only done in july when i changed to non rft's. Now drives perfect again.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='714829' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:48 AM
I have been getting similar symptoms to yourself over the last couple of weeks, ive just had the wheel balance checked to find they were miles out, like 200 grammes on the back and 80 g on the front. The balance was only done in july when i changed to non rft's. Now drives perfect again.
From what I can tell you now are using snow tires that might be the issue?

Quick Reply: problems with the car stability