E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem with windscreen washer jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anit999' post='817289' date='Mar 15 2009, 12:27 PM
When I use the windscreen washer jets the fluid flow is very weak. I have had this problem before and it was fixed under warranty but now the car is out of warranty. I recall them saying something about a blocked filter but I'm not so sure because it would be very difficult for debris to get into the washer fluid system. Recently it stopped working completely so I thought the washer fluid tank was empty so I filled it up but the tank wasn't empty. After pressing the washer fluid button for a while it started to work but only very weakly with most of the fluid dribbling over the bonet.

Has anyone else had this problem before and does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Or does anyone know how to access the filter for the washer fluid system?
This sounds like your strainer grommet (pic below) is clogged. I had the same problem not too long ago and thanks to member Jsal, I finally did it. What you have to do is get behind the mudguard in the front drivers side so turn your wheel to where you get the most clearance or you can remove the wheel which would be even better. Next thing you have to do is locate the washer fluid reservoir which you'll be able to see behind the mudguard, you'll see the hose connected to the reservoir, remove the hose (pulling up), you'll see a rubber plug on the reservoir which is the "strainer grommet" , pull it off the reservoir, let all the fluid drain out of the reservoir, clean the strainer grommet (filter), grab your garden hose, run clean water (above) to clean out the tank, put the strainer back, attach the hose back to the grommet, dont forget about the mudguard, remove excess water by running the jets, fill her up with your fav fluid, bada bing....bada boom

anit99 = 1 / stealership = 0

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' post='819490' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:00 PM
The pump/filer gets clogged and is easy to clean out. When this happened to me, both jets operated the same - barely a trickle was coming out of them. If you have one jet that is good and one that is bad, I would think it was the jet that is clogged.

To clean the pump/filter will take less than a half hour. After you do it once, about 15 minutes.

The pump/bottle is located on the drivers side front. You can pull the pump out of the bottle and blow it out backwards which should clear it. Or, at least it did for me:

Turn wheels to the left.
Remove about a half dozen screws in the front of the wheel well that holds the plastic cover in place. Just the front area. There is also a plastic plug as I recall in the top, but do not pull this out.
You can peal the front of the wheel well out from underneath the fender, which will give your hand access to the washer bottle.
The pump easily pulls out of the washer bottle.
Remove the hose on the other end of the pump.
Blow it out and re-install.
Note, you will lose washer fluid when the pump is out.
Beat me to it I see.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by EV4530' post='819578' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:59 PM
This sounds like your strainer grommet (pic below) is clogged. I had the same problem not too long ago and thanks to member Jsal, I finally did it. What you have to do is get behind the mudguard in the front drivers side so turn your wheel to where you get the most clearance or you can remove the wheel which would be even better. Next thing you have to do is locate the washer fluid reservoir which you'll be able to see behind the mudguard, you'll see the hose connected to the reservoir, remove the hose (pulling up), you'll see a rubber plug on the reservoir which is the "strainer grommet" , pull it off the reservoir, let all the fluid drain out of the reservoir, clean the strainer grommet (filter), grab your garden hose, run clean water (above) to clean out the tank, put the strainer back, attach the hose back to the grommet, dont forget about the mudguard, remove excess water by running the jets, fill her up with your fav fluid, bada bing....bada boom

anit99 = 1 / stealership = 0

Was the filter visibly blocked when you took it out?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Bluetooth, Bi-xenon headlamps, adaptive headlamps, auto dimming interior mirror, heated folding door mirrors, electric front seats with drivers memory, heated front seats, extended light package, sun protection glass, electrically adjustable steering column, automatic air conditioning.

Originally Posted by ///MrSingh' post='819985' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:48 AM
I had this problem twice on mine - first time fixed by BMW mobile support while the car was still under warranty, 2nd time (about 3 months ago) I did it myself.

My filter was full of what looked like algae and I had to use an old toothbrush to clean it up!

All is back to normal now though...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ///MrSingh' post='819985' date='Mar 18 2009, 06:48 AM
Yes it was visibly blocked but I would shoot it with some CLR or mildew remover to really get it clean before you put it back.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Members

Many thanks for this tip, just fixed mine, the strainer was blocked with algae. Cleaned the filter and it's working fine now!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Members

I have posted a diy guide with photos for fixing this.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/942...sing-pressure/
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i with nav and blue tooth , the wifes and 1999 740il, my beast
Default no or little water coming from the windsheild washer jets...fix

My Bentley Manual specifically points to the problem and the fix. Locate water tank as already described....disconnect the electric wire coming from the back of the pump, twist the pump clockwise while pulling pump from the tank. Remove the SCREEN from the bottom of the pump and replace (says the newer screens have larger openings to decrease this apparently problem)....I may just clean my screen if I can. All this assumes that the pump is working....you should be able to hear it pumping and some, perhaps only a bit, should be coming from the jets. This seems to be a common problem as it has a special write up in Bentley under "symptoms and field observations" in the front of the manual. Good luck, Henry
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i X Drive Premium

I have to clean mine. I think I will drill some holes in the filter.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by Marine0369
I have to clean mine. I think I will drill some holes in the filter.
Filters (aka strainer) are there for a purpose... poking holes in the filter defeats that purpose.

Quick Reply: Problem with windscreen washer jets