E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, after fitting the new thermostats, I took the car on my usual 35 mile commute.

Ambient temp around -5C to -3C.

Car got up to 97C - I think the DPF regen was completing. Then after about 25 mins settled back to around 92C. At the very lowest it briefly went to 89C and it peaked at around 94C. This was motorway driving at around 80mph, then motorway at 50mph and a crawl through traffic.

Certainly running a lot hotter than before. I used to get a max of 85C and at motorway speeds around 80C - even at higher ambient temperatures.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I tell what temperature my system is running at?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Members

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:04 PM
Just changed main thermostat today as well as earlier the EGR one.
But the good news is that i am now getting 89C minimum more like 90-92 driving fast on a road. That is a good 10C+ increase prior to the project.
Well that was May 2009

Fuel consumption dropping these days. Now getting 85-87 degress absolute max driving fast :thumbsdown:

Shall this thermostat have to be added to annual jobs to do like MOT, i was really hoping not to touch this again!?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

I am having dpf issues and I believe it is a combination of the cold weather and the large intake grill on my M sport e60 530d.

Suggestion:

If I partly cover the grill this should increase the engine temperature - just in cold weather. Any opinions?

I mostly do short trips: 10 - 15 mile runs
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Members

2004 525dAT with grille flaps, 140KKM.

Checked temps in secret menu and it barely made it to, and leveled out at 70C when freezing outside on long cruise control motorway run.

EGR thermostat was indeed phucked. Replaced it and now it warms up faster and tops out at 80C so the main thermostat is worn out as well. (Figure that's likely to always be the case)

It was a fun project. The plastic piece connecting the vacuum hose to the pump came out relatively easy once I noticed the bottom of the short piece of flexible hose was caught on the support. Even so, the rear bolt on the stat is not easy to get to.
Respect to the person above who managed to undo it without unplugging the vacuum hose!!!

The amount of coolant that came out was more than I expected (though not so much as to require a top-up) Figure about a coke can worth of fluid.

I don't mind a missing temp gauge, but the least they could have done is add a few lines to set an error if the engine doesn't reach operating temperature after (x) time so the problem would be caught.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Robbage
But the good news is that i am now getting 89C minimum more like 90-92 driving fast on a road. That is a good 10C+ increase prior to the project.
Well that was May 2009

Fuel consumption dropping these days. Now getting 85-87 degress absolute max driving fast :thumbsdown:

Shall this thermostat have to be added to annual jobs to do like MOT, i was really hoping not to touch this again!?
Mine had dropped recently to between 86-88 degrees, I wouldn't panic if i were you most stats are rated to open at 88 anyway. You DPF regeneration can still kick in if the coolant reaches 75 degrees with the exhaust gas reaching around 240 degrees. From what other forum guys have experienced prolonged cool running can mean that the DPF regeneration cycle cannot be performed leading to a clogged DPF (££££s), in short i am not worried and i dont think you should be either.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:33 AM
jer
Members

Originally Posted by Robbage
Well that was May 2009

Ambient temperature makes a big difference. March has been cold so far May warmer.

It makes such a big difference with my car I think forget Efficient Dynamics what you need is like a "tea's maid" to warm the oil up in winter before a journey.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
jer
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark
I drove to London Gatwick yesterday from Lincolnshire at a steady 80mph and back again, filling before I left, and filling when I got back, managed 42mpg, stupid onboard computer said 53.1mpg because of the tuning box I have plugged in sadly.( More fuel pressure being used than the OBC realises I suspect )
I know my E61 530d auto would do about 39 on a similar trip London to York. Of course there is that 22 mile section of the M1 when you are stuck at 50....
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
jer
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me
Nope dont know the specs. I do know however that an engine
Should be able to reach oper. Temp in a reasonable amount of time.
I have the exact same car as you. When I started this it was Summer now it's zeroish outside the parameters the temperatures may not be the same.

Don't tell the dealer what temp the courtest car gets to ;-) labour the point about mpg and they might change the main therm.

BTW I hope you have the latest software it improves the gearbox, nav and engine no end.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D
Mine had dropped recently to between 86-88 degrees, I wouldn't panic if i were you most stats are rated to open at 88 anyway. You DPF regeneration can still kick in if the coolant reaches 75 degrees with the exhaust gas reaching around 240 degrees. From what other forum guys have experienced prolonged cool running can mean that the DPF regeneration cycle cannot be performed leading to a clogged DPF (££££s), in short i am not worried and i dont think you should be either.
Hi Bob i think your right. I am not too concerned. Don't want to faff with car for possible non problem!

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.