E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem!! Please help :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Hey guys. Sorry I've been away for so long. I have been on every so often, just not posting.

I have a bit of a problem with the M5, and yes I know this isn't the M5 area, but I want to get as much information and help as possible, so put it in here instead.

Basically, the problem I am having at the moment is under acceleration. Whenever I accelerate hard, the car is holding back, and then going full on, then holding back again. In better words, surging. It's not an intermittent thing, and is CONSTANTLY doing it. I am not a mechnaically minded person, and purely know how to drive, so I don't really know what it could be to be causing this. I am, however, thinking that it could be MAYBE the MAF sensor(s) OR a fuelling problem. I really am concerned that it could maybe be something more serious, but I'm really hoping not. Anyone with ANY advice, your input would be greatly appreciated, and even better if you have ever had this same problem. It doesn't do it under light acceleration, only under full. It basically feels like the rear brakes are sticking then releasing, and causing the acceleration to slow and speed up.

Please help me!! Thanks in advance, and hope everyone is well!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Sorry I can't help. I really hope it works out though.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Just as I got excited hoping there would be an idea to resolve it! LOL!! Thanks for the best wishes bro
Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

First of all, for a person who claims he's not mechanically inclined, seems to me that you have it down pretty good - the areas you mentioned would be the places I'd start looking as well. MAF sensor is very easy to clean - all you need is a can of MAF sensor cleaner and the torx screwdriver to open up the intake and get the sensor out (search my threads, I posted a DIY on this a while back). Fuel delivery is a good guess as well, but I'm thinking - for some reason, and I may be wrong on this - that the car would throw error messages to your idrive screen. Still, wouldn't hurt to go to an auto parts store and have them read the error codes through an OBD II tool (most parts stores do it for free, I think). Another thing, that could cause this is the air filter(s) - check them by opening up the air boxes (do it when the engine is cool, to avoid injury) and inspecting the filters and airboxes visually. If they look like they could be messing with your airflow, then they probably are. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean them up as a temporary fix and see if that does it.

Basically, I always like to eliminate problems by going from cheapest to most expensive, so MAF sensor cleaning would be the least expensive one (unless you mess up the sensor and have to buy a new one ). Airboxes are easy and cheap to clean and check, so that'd be next and so forth.

Now, is your car stock? Do you have an engine tune? If you are - and even if you are running stock ECU software - it could be an issue with timing. That can only be fixed by rebooting the ECU software, as far as I know.

I'd look at the coils also - they might need to be replaced. If you have a sprintbooster, try taking it out and running without it - that might be it. Could be the transmission, but unlikely - it would throw error messages and go into safe mode before anything could be felt in the driver's seat, probably. Still worth a check - are shifts any different from usual?

The easiest answer would be - if you have warranty - take it to the dealer and let them figure it out, while you kick back in a loaner car. Of course, if you're out warranty, then you'd be better off knowing what it is more or less, before you head over to a shop. This could literally be caused by hundreds of different things, but since you didn't mention any error codes or noises, or anything, I'd go with the above things first. And before you do anything else, find a place where you can have those error codes read, write them down and research what each and every one of them could mean. Keep in mind, it is common to find several error codes through OBD II even if there's nothing wrong with the car, so don't worry about them too much until you know what's the actual cause of this problem.

Hope I helped at least somewhat, and good luck!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

could it possibly be the fuel source? maybe some sea foam can help. mine does this sometimes as well (but only since recently). i've also noticed recently that i have a hard time filling up my gas tank, like there's air in there or something.... so if you're having the same problem at the pump, it could be the air in the tank... maybe. i'm not too mechanical either.

just my $0.02
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Maybe you got a bad tank of fuel? Something else you may want to check is your fuel filter.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

You really need to give more details.
Does it do it both hot and cold engine? Does weather affect it? Is it more light throttle and less full throttle? How has the car been maintained, have you done items other than oil change like fuel filters? Anything done to the car just before this happened? How many miles on it? Has it been in any accidents?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Members

I have recently noticed something similiar in my 545.When I floor it from the full stop my car holds back and then starts to drive...

The CE light/increased emissions comes and goes for couple of months now. Week ago I cleaned my MAF and erased the code at the Autozone. Now it is back again...
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the input guys.

OK, to add more information. The car is a late 2005. It has never been in an accident, and has a full BMW stealer service history. It had an oil service done last in April 2010. I am not aware if it has had a new fuel filter.

It is completely standard still, and has 60k miles on the odometer.

Fuel wise, I too was thinking a bad tank... I always use Shell V Power, but one day a fortnight ago, and had to use another brand as was nowhere near to a Shell station, and was almost out of fuel. That did seem to trigger the problem, but since then, I have run 5 tanks of V Power through the car, and the problem still persists. I disconnected the battery to reset everything hoping that the car would "re-learn" if you know what I mean, but it didn't seem to do anything. I am going to clean the MAF sensors this week when I get a spare 10 minutes.

As for when the problem occurs etc, I have only noticed when it's under full throttle, and when the engine is hot. I never go over 3k when the car is on warm up. Weather does not seem to affect it at all. No lights have been thrown up on the dash or iDrive.

As for problems filling up at the pump, I'm having no problems there whatsoever. Still, I do have my suspicions that it's fuel related.

The car has a full warranty yes, as I extended it after the 3 years. I will continue to extend it until I get the new one! I'd just rather fix it myself than be without the car for weeks, as my local dealer isn't that good I don't think. It took them 7 months to figure out a problem last time! Plus, they ALWAYS put me in a crappy 116i which is TERRIBLE!!!!!

Hope this answers all the questions! Anymore feedback appreciated!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Sorry to hear about your problem Jon. Unfortunately I don't have anything to add but want to subscribe to hear how it's resolved. Good luck bud.