E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

preventing premature inside tire wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Default preventing premature inside tire wearing out

Hi car is 2006 530i sport. I upgraded from size 18 to oem m5 166 wheel. My rear tire size is 285/30/19 and i just had them replaced today because of premature wearing out on the inside of the tire. I only had them for 12,000 miles. The front are not even 50% worn out. Sears refused to go beyond wheel specs alignment to adjust camber setting. I need your advice guys. Thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Model Year: 2005

Take it to Auto Innovation in Milpitas and talk to Orlando, he'll know what to do.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by elie7
Hi car is 2006 530i sport. I upgraded from size 18 to oem m5 166 wheel. My rear tire size is 285/30/19 and i just had them replaced today because of premature wearing out on the inside of the tire. I only had them for 12,000 miles. The front are not even 50% worn out. Sears refused to go beyond wheel specs alignment to adjust camber setting. I need your advice guys. Thanks
Reduce the negative camber to the very minimum of factory specs,, which will be .08 After u do that,, do a off rim rotate. Switch the tires side to side. The inside corners will now be the outside corners. That will double your tire life . U will not even notice the difference in the lesser negative camber in the cornering and handling.. Make sure the tires u use can be rotated side to side . Because some tires are one sided only.

I use Hankook Ventus evo with a 280 tread wear. I managed to get 27,400 miles out of them on the rears.. Really good for a soft summer tire. I rotated the fronts at that millage with new rears, and expect at least 50,000 on the fronts.

Try this method out Bro,, it will save u money cause you will get double the tire life by goen this route.. It will solve the inside wear issue..

I forgot to mention,,, the time to rotate the rears is when the inside half of the tire and inside corner gets almost to the wear bars.. So u have to keep an eye on them... I also added 5 psi and went with nitrogen. To keep the wieght of the car more towards the center of the tire... After i rotated the rears I reduce the psi to 3 psi over. I got this down to a science and has really worked good for me ...

Last edited by H F; 09-09-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

H_F seems to know what he's talking about, and I don't.

I actually just recently replaced my rear because of the same, and actually, all my rears had been f'ed up before. After talking to a few shops, the verdict that it's all the same. It's how BMW and Mercedes do their cars for handling, and depending on how you drive, the severity of wear will certainly reflect.

I want to say I didn't even get 10k out of them v12s, and was surprised and disappointed. Decided to throw on another set and see if it continues to be this shitty.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a similar issue with my last set of Michelins PS2's and having to replace because of the inner wear and then seeing how much was still available on the remaining tire surface was a bit annoying. When I had my car aligned and the new conti's installed, I showed the guy and he said he would have a look at it. All I got back was, it was out a little and everything is ok now. 18 K so far and all looks just fine. I assume my alignment was actually out and he may have even done what you all are talking about. I also heard the quick starts will increase this problem as the car squats.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H F
Reduce the negative camber to the very minimum of factory specs,, which will be .08 After u do that,, do a off rim rotate. Switch the tires side to side. The inside corners will now be the outside corners. That will double your tire life . U will not even notice the difference in the lesser negative camber in the cornering and handling.. Make sure the tires u use can be rotated side to side . Because some tires are one sided only.

I use Hankook Ventus evo with a 280 tread wear. I managed to get 27,400 miles out of them on the rears.. Really good for a soft summer tire. I rotated the fronts at that millage with new rears, and expect at least 50,000 on the fronts.

Try this method out Bro,, it will save u money cause you will get double the tire life by goen this route.. It will solve the inside wear issue..

I forgot to mention,,, the time to rotate the rears is when the inside half of the tire and inside corner gets almost to the wear bars.. So u have to keep an eye on them... I also added 5 psi and went with nitrogen. To keep the wieght of the car more towards the center of the tire... After i rotated the rears I reduce the psi to 3 psi over. I got this down to a science and has really worked good for me ...
x2. Do what H.F. says and watch your tire life double. I have the Ventus evo 12s and my rears look like they will probably last about 30K miles, no problem. Fronts don't seem to want to wear out....33K so far and could probably get 20K more out of them easily. Great tire...
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Members

Model Year: 2006

I live in the bay area and I cant find any shop who will go beyond what bmw specs on the alignment. I tried telling them to adjust camber to .08 for the rear and unsuccessful. Can someone recommend alignment shop in the bay area who is willing to adjust rear camber and not follow bmw specs? Thanks again guys for being so helpful.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by elie7
I live in the bay area and I cant find any shop who will go beyond what bmw specs on the alignment. I tried telling them to adjust camber to .08 for the rear and unsuccessful. Can someone recommend alignment shop in the bay area who is willing to adjust rear camber and not follow bmw specs? Thanks again guys for being so helpful.
Look at post # 2
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

.08 /.09 is the very minimum camber adjustment setting of factory specs, that is as far as the alignment computer will allow... I had my camber reduced at a Bmw dealer

Last edited by H F; 09-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.