E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Premium Fuel" Brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My shiney new E60 manuel has a rather pointed statement about using quality brands of fule. I know to use the higher octain fule, that is the easy part. But what national/available vendors qualify as quality premium fuel? BP? Marathon? Citgo?

There are so many to choose from. I know to stay away from the "Gas-Stop" no-name fuels, but what else?

I plan on having this babey for some time and want to treat her right.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

The high quality standard "Hi-Test" in the US (as far as I am concerned) has always been Amoco "White Gas" Premium. Amoco was recently purchased by British Petroleum... so look for the green BP stations, and choose Premium for the best. IMHO...
Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Any of the major refiners would be considered premium fuels, as they generally have better quality control over the product. As for the local "Gas Stop" or "Quick Serve" you're never sure where the gas comes from. There are smaller refiners who sell to these operators, though in fairness, many times they also buy gas from the major refiners wholesale and sell it under their name. General rule of thumb is that, like paying a few pennies more a gallon for the higher octane gas, paying a few pennies more at the BP, Shell or Texaco stations will get you a better quality gas. There are of course exceptions to this, but it's a general rule.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vatkens of "bimmerfest'

I?m with BMW of North America, LLC. Gasoline is expected to fulfill many requirements to guarantee the desired operating conditions during all environmental and driving conditions.

All current BMW gasoline models have a requirement of premium unleaded gasoline, with a minimum octane rating of at least 91.

Minimum octane rating corresponds to the Anti Knock Index (AKI). The anti-knock value is the quality rating for gasoline and is required for controlled combustion. Anti-knock value is expressed with an octane number. A higher number indicates better anti-knock properties of a gasoline.

Field experience has indicated significant differences in fuel quality: volatility, composition, additives, etc., among different gasoline brands in the United States and Canada.

The use of poor-quality fuels or fuels with lower octane rating than required may result in drivability, starting and stalling problems especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude.

If you have any more questions regarding the fuel requirements for BMW vehicles, feel free to call BMW Customer Relations at 800-831-1117 and mention Reference # 200415400245 so that we can help you more efficiently.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Contributors

I usually fill up at either Shell or Chevron simply because they are closest to me. Lately though, I've been using Costco gas and have no reserve in doing so.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Tim530

There is a 76 station near me that has a fourth pump that offers racing grade fuel that I believe was over 100 octane. They even show you a chart on how to mix it with 91 octane to achieve other ratings such as 98, etc.

Never tried it but was blown away when I noticed it. Wonder how the 530 would like that?

TIM
Old 06-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

My local BP also has racing fuel. I have mixed it 50/50 with Premium in my '71 Jaguar XKE, and could tell a bit of difference in performance, but I'm not sure I'd try it in the bimmer...

If only I could find some leaded fuel for the old 4.2 litre beast...