E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power steering reservoir hose clamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 XI
Default Power steering reservoir hose clamps

Hi - first post here. I did check the board and couldn't find an answer so here goes...

I am in the process of changing the power steering reservoir on my 2008 535xi and can't figure out which clamps to use. One of the big BMW supply parts shops sent me high quality screw clamps but Im being told the Oetiker type doubled walled pinch clamps that are OEM are better (i.e. constant pressure, permanent connection, etc)

I would appreciate any help on this plus if you think the pinch types are better what size I need for the above. they appear to be about 1 1/4 inches but not sure how much larger I could go if I buy the pinch clamps

For reference the one on left came off both hoses, I was sent both of the others by two different parts supplies and they are both too small
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Power steering reservoir hose clamps-img_0227.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 02:29 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I have always used the screw type for replacement and never an issue.
On the correct size take the one on left in pic to your local hardware/autopartsway store and match it up with a 100% SS (stainless steel) version.
Take a magnet along to verify SS.
Good luck
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535 XI

Thanks. I ordered some today.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 E61

Originally Posted by pgreenx
Hi - first post here. I did check the board and couldn't find an answer so here goes...

I am in the process of changing the power steering reservoir on my 2008 535xi and can't figure out which clamps to use. One of the big BMW supply parts shops sent me high quality screw clamps but Im being told the Oetiker type doubled walled pinch clamps that are OEM are better (i.e. constant pressure, permanent connection, etc)

I would appreciate any help on this plus if you think the pinch types are better what size I need for the above. they appear to be about 1 1/4 inches but not sure how much larger I could go if I buy the pinch clamps

For reference the one on left came off both hoses, I was sent both of the others by two different parts supplies and they are both too small
Thanks
I read a post awhile back that I thought provided interesting information on the subject. Basically the OP stated that the Oetiker Clamps allow for some movement as the hose expands with heat and the screw type clamps do not. The contention was that using the screw type clamps eventually lead to leaks by causing the hose to compress when it expands. I found it interesting, as I've changed to screw type clamps on Audi PS hoses and have never gotten them to seal completely...leading to a mess from the weeping lines.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

I think sometimes the factory chooses things based on production line requirements like ease of automation.

Also for these clamps its harder for an assembly worker to over-tighten or under-tighten the clamp compared with a screw clamp, which might be a big deal with plastic parts.