E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power steering question (HELP) Military in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 04 525 into BMW today to get what seemed to be a leak with my power steering. I know it's a leak in the power steering because it runs dry in a couple of weeks and theres a small (quarter size...little bigger) fluid on the ground in my garage of the same color stuff. Plus the power steering warning comes on. Anyway, when I went to pick my car up the guy said I had a big problem. He said that my radiator was busted and thats whats been causing my power steering to leak. I'm not a car buff so I'm not to familiar with the inner workings but if my radiator was busted would it be leaking coolant instead of power steering fluid. I'm station in Germany so this is a German BMW dealer. He showed me the radiator which did look like it needed to be replaced but what would that have to do with the power steering. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I suppose to go back on Tuesday for him to repair the radiator, which should stop my power steering fluid leak. I'm going to try and attach a picture of what the radiator looks like.
Power steering question (HELP) Military in Germany-dsc01429.jpg
Power steering question (HELP) Military in Germany-dsc02446.jpg
Power steering question (HELP) Military in Germany-dsc02444.jpg
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Hey man sorry I can't help with your issue, but thanks for serving in the military! I know the sacrifice, believe me.

I served three years in Germany in the Army back in 1989. I was between Garlstadt up north and Augsburg in the south - best time of my life so far I must say.

Good luck with your problem man, hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:24 AM
koo
Members

My car is currently off the road, due to a complete loss of power steering fluid, along with the power steering warning I also got the DSC warning. The cause was the flexible pressure hose feeding the stabalizer bar across the back axle dumping all the CHF 11s fluid. This part is out of stock in the UK and was on back order at Germany, car has been off the road for 2 weeks now and hoping it will be fixed on Wednesday.

Is your puddle of fuid at the front or the rear of the car?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by koo' post='1091825' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:24 AM
My car is currently off the road, due to a complete loss of power steering fluid, along with the power steering warning I also got the DSC warning. The cause was the flexible pressure hose feeding the stabalizer bar across the back axle dumping all the CHF 11s fluid. This part is out of stock in the UK and was on back order at Germany, car has been off the road for 2 weeks now and hoping it will be fixed on Wednesday.

Is your puddle of fuid at the front or the rear of the car?

It's in the front. Its almost diretlcy under where you pour the powe sterring in.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

That's your power steering radiator so yes he's correct to say that's the problem if it's holed

Have a look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=17&fg=05
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='1091884' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:47 AM
That's your power steering radiator so yes he's correct to say that's the problem if it's holed

Have a look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=17&fg=05
Thanks so much, that put me at ease. I was shocked when he told me the price to fix it all. I went to the dealership to get my drivers side mirror fixed (backed out the garage hit the wall) and get the ipod retro fit. So I was already paying about 600 euro ($900). Then he hit me with the power steering another 400 euro ($600).
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

Yes "juliann" is complet right on , it is so that there is actuly 4 radiators buildt together on such a BMW ( and it look as one ) , 1 for power-steering , servo-oil , 1 for motor coolant , water , 1 for the Aut. gearbox , gearoil , and at last 1 for the Klima Aut. , freon-oil.

I had also a "hole" in one of the radiators , some time back , and had fluid leeking out on the ground , but in my case it was the radiator for the Aut. gearbox that was damaged , I was glad to find out , before I did get my gearbox damaged , due to , to low oil level.

It can happen if you are un-lucky and get a small stone into the radiator at high speed ( motorway/freeway etc. ).
Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='1091919' date='Jan 16 2010, 02:11 PM
Hi

Yes "juliann" is complet right on , it is so that there is actuly 4 radiators buildt together on such a BMW ( and it look as one ) , 1 for power-steering , servo-oil , 1 for motor coolant , water , 1 for the Aut. gearbox , gearoil , and at last 1 for the Klima Aut. , freon-oil.

I had also a "hole" in one of the radiators , some time back , and had fluid leeking out on the ground , but in my case it was the radiator for the Aut. gearbox that was damaged , I was glad to find out , before I did get my gearbox damaged , due to , to low oil level.

It can happen if you are un-lucky and get a small stone into the radiator at high speed ( motorway/freeway etc. ).
Thanks for the info. Small stone is probably the issue. I drive on the autobahn a lot. I was told that BMW's where made for the Autobahn and let me tell you THEY ARE.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by joeygr' post='1092009' date='Jan 16 2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Small stone is probably the issue. I drive on the autobahn a lot. I was told that BMW's where made for the Autobahn and let me tell you THEY ARE.

YESSIR!!!!!

Dealerships in Germany are just like ones in the states - their service/repair prices are much higher than indy service shops. You could probably find one if you ask around.

BTW - is the price including VAT?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 Porsche Cayman S. Black on Black with Black tint. Sport (thicker) steering wheel, Heated Sport Seats, OEM Short Shifter, Clear Engine Cover. [b][u]SOLD! '08 550i 6SPD, Alpine White w/ OEM Carbon Fiber, Perforated Black leather, Anthracite Bamboo Trim[/u] full Sports Package with OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters and Diffuser, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, BMW Professional Nav, Heated/Ventilated 20 way Front Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Split Rear Seats, Comfort Access, iPod, PIAA Fog Lights, Xenon Match Interior Lighting, 12mm Rear Spacers, Gloss Black Model Designation, Carbon Fiber Door Pillar Covers, AngeliBrights (temporary set in place), ACS Style CF Diffuser, RDSport Quad conversion. RPI scoop (black) [u]2000 Z3 Coupe 2.8, Topaz Blue, Black Leather, Walnut Trim[/u] Koni Adjustable's w/ Racing Dynamics springs (1.75" drop), UUC LTW FW, E39 M5 Clutch, Wilwood Big Brakes, UUC Motorworks SSK, Rogue Engineering Big Boy Clutch Stop, Rogue Engineering Pulleys, EuroSport CF CAI, Sharked, Hawk HP+ Pads, Hamman Side Outlet Vents, ACS Type 3 18"s(replica) and 1000w pumping through a JL10W6[/b]
Arrow

VAT?? No WAY!! Gotta take advantage of that tax form!

Joegr... where are you in Germany?? I'm glad you're enjoying the autobahn... now we just gotta get rid of that speed limiter

Quick Reply: Power steering question (HELP) Military in Germany