E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power Boost Without Climate Control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530XI

One thing that has been bothering me since delivery of my car on May 6th, is that the car seems a bit sluggish (and the gas pedal does not seem fully responsive) when I start moving from a complete stop. This is not always the case, but it does happen quite often and mostly when the car is not fully warmed up. Much has been written on this forum about steptronic not shifting down to 1st gear when coming to a stop and instead starting out in second gear. I have always thought that this has been the cause of the sluggishness and non-responsive gas pedal.

On several occasions over the last few days, I have turned off the climate control system (pushing the round STOP button) and driven around town with the windows open. On each occassion, the sluggishness and hesitation completely disappeared, the gas pedal became much more sensitive and responsive and the car felt much more powerful. I'm almost tempted to drive without air conditioning and to just sweat it out all summer (LOL)

Has anyone else experienced this? Does the climate control system drain that much power from the engine? Can this be the cause of the hesitation and sluggishness?

I'm leaving in a little while for the July 4th weekend, but would be interested in reading about anyone's thoughts on this when I return on July 5th. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I know AC does zip some power but I wouldnt have thought you would have noticed it that much.

The thing is. Step does start off in 2nd many times like you noted yourself but if you step into the gas a little more from a stop the transmission should choose 1st instead of 2nd.

Hehe maybe you should have gotten SMG. I never have a problem of it not starting off in 1st.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by woody' post='305443' date='Jun 30 2006, 04:45 AM
One thing that has been bothering me since delivery of my car on May 6th, is that the car seems a bit sluggish (and the gas pedal does not seem fully responsive) when I start moving from a complete stop. This is not always the case, but it does happen quite often and mostly when the car is not fully warmed up. Much has been written on this forum about steptronic not shifting down to 1st gear when coming to a stop and instead starting out in second gear. I have always thought that this has been the cause of the sluggishness and non-responsive gas pedal.

On several occasions over the last few days, I have turned off the climate control system (pushing the round STOP button) and driven around town with the windows open. On each occassion, the sluggishness and hesitation completely disappeared, the gas pedal became much more sensitive and responsive and the car felt much more powerful. I'm almost tempted to drive without air conditioning and to just sweat it out all summer (LOL)

Has anyone else experienced this? Does the climate control system drain that much power from the engine? Can this be the cause of the hesitation and sluggishness?

I'm leaving in a little while for the July 4th weekend, but would be interested in reading about anyone's thoughts on this when I return on July 5th. Thanks.
Well, I do notice a difference between having the A/C on and off. And, I turn it off when engaged with some spirited driving.

Doesn't the Step have a Sport button? Have you tried driving with Sport mode engaged and in DS mode. Isn't that the correct mode to be in for a more responsive drive?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

If your compressor is running, then you probably would feel some sluggishness given your relatively low HP. Our cars' compressors don't have clutches, and they can be more, or less, on, in degrees, depending on the circumstances. So, sometimes one might experience loss of performance and other times not. In this regard, it apparently takes "an extended period" for the compressor to completely turn off after turning climate control off. So, if I want to ensure no loss of power for some reason, then I turn climate control off as far ahead of time as I can anticipate.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jiio' post='305473' date='Jun 30 2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I do notice a difference between having the A/C on and off. And, I turn it off when engaged with some spirited driving.

Doesn't the Step have a Sport button? Have you tried driving with Sport mode engaged and in DS mode. Isn't that the correct mode to be in for a more responsive drive?
Step has DS on the 545i--biut no sport button. And, yes, that's the place to be for spirited driving, generally speaking.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

every car is slower when the ac is on. how slow each car becomes is difficult to determine.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='305474' date='Jun 30 2006, 09:45 AM
If your compressor is running, then you probably would feel some sluggishness given your relatively low HP. Our cars' compressors don't have clutches, and they can be more, or less, on, in degrees, depending on the circumstances. So, sometimes one might experience loss of performance and other times not. In this regard, it apparently takes "an extended period" for the compressor to completely turn off after turning climate control off. So, if I want to ensure no loss of power for some reason, then I turn climate control off as far ahead of time as I can anticipate.
Some cars, particularly Japanes, have the compress come on and off. Znod, I think the compressor cuts out as soon as you turn your AC off. At least in mine, I don't hear the "extra" burden on the engine when I turn off the AC.

On V8, you may not feel a power loss due to AC, but on 4 and 6 cyclinders you do.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The AC is driven by the cars crankshaft!

The AC consumes power and increases the gas consuption,
as the generator and wather pump but much more.

No matter if it is a 116i or a 550i, but relatively the 550i suffers less.

So if you what to get the most hp of your E60 turn off all electrical devices
and most important, the AC.

PS. BMW is developing electrical wather pumps (in some models it
already is) and a generator system that don't use the crankshaft power.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='305555' date='Jun 30 2006, 01:25 PM
Some cars, particularly Japanes, have the compress come on and off. Znod, I think the compressor cuts out as soon as you turn your AC off. At least in mine, I don't hear the "extra" burden on the engine when I turn off the AC.

On V8, you may not feel a power loss due to AC, but on 4 and 6 cyclinders you do.
You may be right about the compressor turning off immediately. That's logical. I got my info from my dealer's Shop Forman, but who knows? Otherwise, my points hold. And, unfortunately, our compressors don't turn off, in any degree, when the car is floored--according to the same guy.