E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Potential stupid question - CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Just got my new '05 545 with Sport, Nav, HUD, CWP. Needless to say, the car is just fantastic.

Was playing around with the menus in IDrive, and had a question about the CD player (I don't have the premium sound package):

1. How the heck do you pause a CD? I was driving around yesterday listening to my CD and had to make a few phone calls (via BT and my V600, btw). For the life of my, I couldn't find how to pause the CD. What I am missing??

Attached Thumbnails Potential stupid question - CD Player-dsc01084.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Welcome JStraw! Don't recall the exact steps, but in the iDrive, you can program the steering wheel buttons, and one of those options is to have one button "Mute" the CD/Radio. When muting the CD, it actually pauses the CD as well so that when you unmute, the CD picks up right where you muted it.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

push the volume turn knob ... its the ON | OFF for the radio/cd/etc.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Mar 3 2005, 09:54 AM
Just got my new '05 545 with Sport, Nav, HUD, CWP. Needless to say, the car is just fantastic.

Was playing around with the menus in IDrive, and had a question about the CD player (I don't have the premium sound package):

1. How the heck do you pause a CD? I was driving around yesterday listening to my CD and had to make a few phone calls (via BT and my V600, btw). For the life of my, I couldn't find how to pause the CD. What I am missing??

[snapback]96605[/snapback]
Mine pauses automatically when making or receiving phone calls, but as kscarrol pointed out you can assign one of the progammable buttons using the i menu, Vehicle Settings, Steering Wheel buttons and selecting your choice to mute, which on a CD will pause it as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

My brother pointed that out to me the other day, it actually is an Off/On button that also works as a mute button. He asked me: are you mutting or turning the CD off... same thing I guess.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Mar 3 2005, 10:18 AM
My brother pointed that out to me the other day, it actually is an Off/On button that also works as a mute button. He asked me: are you mutting or turning the CD off... same thing I guess.
[snapback]96616[/snapback]
In my mind, just muting stops the sound but the CD would continue to "play" so that if you unmuted it after a 10 phone call, you could 2 or 3 songs deeper into your CD. That makes it more than just a mute function for the CD player. As for whether it truly turns off the CD player, I don't know that. It definitely pauses so that you restart in the same spot.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Exactly. That's probably why I didn't even think that the mute button would pause the CD. Something I will try this evening.

There is always the On/Off switch, I guess.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

I think the engineers idea was that the switch acts as both a mute and an on/off switch. If you stop the music for a short period of time, I believe the disk is still spinning and therefore can be somewhat instantly revived (like a mute or pause function). If you stop the music for a long period of time (or switch to another audio source like radio) the disk will stop spinning but your last location will be in memory. You can still start from your last spot but it will take an extra second or two to get the rpms back up on the disc.

This is particularly notable to me when I am listening to a CD in the single slot but want to change over to the 6 disc changer in the glove box and return where I left off among the 6 discs. I hit eject on the in-dash CD (which dumps to radio) and then pull up CD again in iDrive (which dumps to where I left off in the changer).
Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, JStraw !
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, jstraw !

Quick Reply: Potential stupid question - CD Player