E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Possibly buying a 550i.. help

Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT
Default Possibly buying a 550i.. help

Hey guys, long time since I’ve been on theses boards.
Thinking about buying an n62 550.
One is a 08 550 with 150k miles for 4K. Sport interior. Black on black with Navi.

what do I look for when checking the car out? Or should I stay away..

second option is same car. But m sport with 89k but manual. This one is 13k$
obviously I know the better car but it involves me trading in my 11 335 m sport. I’d consider this solely to no longer have a payment lol
Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

The powertrain in the 550i is fairly bulletproof, but not maintenance-proof. I have an 08 550i with 122k miles and the majority of the major engine work occurred around the 90k - 100k mile mark.

If there is a service history, check dutifully for engine maintenance. You want to see all the usual engine oil seals have been replaced. They should have been at that mileage, possibly even twice. Valve cover gaskets, front timing cover seals, alternator bracket gasket. And with that high mileage, the lower timing cover seal, oil pan gaskets, rear main seals, etc should all be checked out. Basically just looking for very major leaks. Most likely they are leaking and the bottom of the engine will be wet, which is not a problem, just as long as oil isn't constantly dripping out (engine on and off). Also want to ensure the transmission has been serviced and not leaking.

To check for internal engine oil leakage, fire up the engine and let it idle for a good bit. Check for a smooth running idle (while cold and after closed-loop idling). Misfires or uneven idling could be leaking VCG. Monitor the exhaust to check for oil burning. Drive around and manually shift thru the gears to check for any transmission problems. Park the car with the engine running and wait a few minutes. Then gun the gas pedal quickly to see if any oil smoke comes out the exhaust, which could be worn valve stem seals.

I'd be willing to bet that 550i will most likely have some kind of minor problem that will cost major dollars to repair (unless you repair yourself). That's just the nature of N62 V8 maintenance. So don't expect to get out of a monthly payment that easily, as you may be looking at some four-figure repair bills.

Now if the car passed all the above with flying colors (and there are no other major problems), then 4K is not bad.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i 6 speed steptronic
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8

I have a 2007 msport in my garage, that I am restoring. you have to run the VIN to itemize the options. adaptive cruise control, air conditioed seats and Heads up as well as hydraulic torsion are the good options. The seats are fickle. the dash buttoms wear quick. the headliner is cut tight, You have see it from a under a rack and inspect all the molded aluminum bosses, especially along the engine cradle. the botton is zipped up, and the leaks cannot be found unless you pull the splash guards. spin the wheels and see if they are true. the headligh s adapt to turns, make sure the mounting tabs are not broke. look at the pwr st fluid it was origninally clear mineral spirits. the mstr cyl is under the interior filters. if there is dirt and debris in this are, it means the car was probably neglected.
brakes are important. the original rotors where Brembo.

take a vacuum gauge with you, and verify there are no major engine defects, like weak seals, guides, rollers, and of course the VVT and Catalytics.

the 550i will rip your lungs out. but you will pay. I do not recommend this car unless you can take it apart and put it back together. because you wil, even if nothing is wrong with it.