E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Possible to reprogram SAT paddle shifting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I've been trying to search the archives and it seems that I'm only coming up with retrofit threads.... So does anyone know if it is possible to reprogram an 08 550 SAT so that pulling the left paddle towards you actually down shifts and only pulling the right paddle up shifts? If any of you can lead me to the appropriate thread, that would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm happy to announce that my 550 is close to the panama canal and will be at the cali vdc by 02/25!!! So hopefully I'll be able to post pics by 1st of march.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Trevor
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

My sales rep says you can't do it. I would have thought it was done in iDrive or something.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm sure you could probably do some creative re-wiring where the paddles are to make this work but, as I've said a million times before, the way the paddles are setup now is much more logical/sensible -- I don't know why everyone is always wishing they were arranged the other way...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Somethin' similar like :

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31682&hl=

and/or

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=33058&hl=

maybe?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='530577' date='Feb 12 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm sure you could probably do some creative re-wiring where the paddles are to make this work but, as I've said a million times before, the way the paddles are setup now is much more logical/sensible -- I don't know why everyone is always wishing they were arranged the other way...
I definately understand the confusion. In classic automatic cars, downshifting to lower gears involved pulling the selector toward you, in standard P-R-N-D-3-2-1 configs. I had a 72 Pontiac Firebird SD455 with a racheting B&M racing shifter. I would slam it toward me for downshifts, and away from me for upshifts. With the Steptronic, the reverse is true and I sometimes find myself upshifting when I should be downshifting lol. Ah well - gotta luv the human brain!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='530586' date='Feb 12 2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the threads BlaSTiWi. Once the 550 comes in I'll have the dealer swap the pins. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='530577' date='Feb 12 2008, 05:32 PM

The current setup may be logical/sensible to some, but downshifting by pushing the paddle forward won't do me any good since is don't have any thumbs!! j/k

After driving an M5 SMG for a whole weekend then driving a SAT for a week, it just felt more natural for me to use the left paddle to downshift.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by TrevX' post='530596' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:06 PM
The current setup may be logical/sensible to some, but downshifting by pushing the paddle forward won't do me any good since is don't have any thumbs!! j/k

After driving an M5 SMG for a whole weekend then driving a SAT for a week, it just felt more natural for me to use the left paddle to downshift.
Sorry for always being Mr. Wizard , but the lefty righty thing works well for cars that have quick ratio steering. My friend has an M6 and its quicker than my SA. What this means is that when you are going through turns you generally never have to move your hands off the steering wheel because you seldom need a hand-over-hand to make a turn so the access to the paddle shifters are always the same.
In more normal ratio steering you are removing and repositioning your hands on the steering wheel which means you then need to hunt for the paddles for a shift, tough enough to find either one of two of the paddles, very tough if you need a specific one.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='530607' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:49 PM
Sorry for always being Mr. Wizard , but the lefty righty thing works well for cars that have quick ratio steering. My friend has an M6 and its quicker than my SA. What this means is that when you are going through turns you generally never have to move your hands off the steering wheel because you seldom need a hand-over-hand to make a turn so the access to the paddle shifters are always the same.
In more normal ratio steering you are removing and repositioning your hands on the steering wheel which means you then need to hunt for the paddles for a shift, tough enough to find either one of two of the paddles, very tough if you need a specific one.
That makes sense. I also know that the ///M division does things that work best on track whereas standard BMWs follow the norms. I believe if you look at most autos with paddles or shift buttons they always have been the same as the SAT. The SMG has been the different one.

FYI, the reason BMW changed the steptronic is due to "racing" logic. My '99 540iA pushed to go up, pulled to drop down but BMW changed it because while racing, during acceleration its easier to pull to upshift and during braking its easier to push to downshift. I read to switch between the two modes is an easy pin swap on a connector. Plus you can purchase the different face plates in the aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='530607' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:49 PM
The other key to why I like the push/pull setup is you can shift either way with one hand. On an E60 with iDrive, there are many times when one hand is on the controller and the other is on the wheel. It's very easy to shift up or down using only one hand and you never need to worry about what paddle you're touching.

I agree with Richard in NC as to why the shifter uses the forward to downshift, rearward to upshift logic. As far as why race cars don't use this paddle arrangement, I'm not sure -- I can only guess that it was simpler and possibly more robust to design/build -- using a single microswitch and a simpler one-way paddle -- so now, it's become a standard.