5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Possible or impossible - may be a stupid question (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/possible-impossible-may-stupid-question-43386/)

Scooter 08-09-2007 09:27 PM

Is it possible to have AC/Climate off and have natural external air entering the cabin through the vents - no wind down the windows or open the sunroof wise cracks thanks?

You know like in the old days where the air just blows into the cabin through the vents by vitue of the cars motion without a fan!

I have not been able to get my car to do it.

Rudy 08-09-2007 09:40 PM

What year is your car? What version of climate control do you have?

(As I suggested in another thread, please add your car's description to your signature so we can help you out easier...)

Scooter 08-09-2007 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457315' date='Aug 10 2007, 12:40 AM
What year is your car? What version of climate control do you have?

(As I suggested in another thread, please add your car's description to your signature so we can help you out easier...)

Sig done thanks.

Based on your US BMW website the climate system appears the same as this: Automatic climate control with separate left/right temperature and air distribution controls, with automatic air recirculation

Picture attached

Rudy 08-09-2007 10:14 PM

I think you can accomplish what you want by simply turning off the "snowflake" button (which turns off the a/c compressor) and making sure that the fresh air vent is open. Dial up the fan speed you want and you should be good to go -- be sure the temperature dials are set to a temperature lower than the outside temperature or the car will attempt to heat the air.

That should give you what you want...right?

Scooter 08-09-2007 10:27 PM

I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the fan and let the air flow in naturally through the vents via momentum like most older cars did when the airflow was switched from circulate to fresh.

I guess your method is as close as I can get...thanks.

Lord Monkey 08-10-2007 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='457321' date='Aug 10 2007, 07:27 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the fan and let the air flow in naturally through the vents via momentum like most older cars did when the airflow was switched from circulate to fresh.

I guess your method is as close as I can get...thanks.

Modern cars being more complicated, have various blocks in the way that impede air flow, such as dust filters, pollen filter etc. They are also more aerodynamic, so you are less likely to get the blast of air coming through even at speed without the fan to assist.

Old cars with bluff front ends suck up more air and that is often fed directly to the air vents unrestricted.

Hope that helps.