E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

At the Port

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The color combo sounds great. They all look good clean.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats. its all worth the wait dont worry.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

I'm new to the forum... I ordered my car last week (550i manual trans., black saphire w/ black nasca leather, ventilated front seats, anthracite maple trim, anthracite headliner; sport, m-aero kit, comfort access, navigation, cold weather, rear heated seats, night vision, HUD, logic 7 sound, split folding rear seats, power rear sunshade w/ manual rear windows, illuminated door sills, active steering, rear side impact airbags, satellite radio, HD radio) and my dealer tells me to expect mid to late January for delivery. What phone number should I dial for any updates?

Also, I hate to whine, but I've been reading all of the conjecture regarding the new "updated" E60 set to be released early next year and I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake by ordering my car now. Should I have been more patient and held out for the '08? Or should I shut up and revel in the anticipation for the baddest car I've ever owned?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by drifter' post='367443' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm new to the forum... I ordered my car last week (550i manual trans., black saphire w/ black nasca leather, ventilated front seats, anthracite maple trim, anthracite headliner; sport, m-aero kit, comfort access, navigation, cold weather, rear heated seats, night vision, HUD, logic 7 sound, split folding rear seats, power rear sunshade w/ manual rear windows, illuminated door sills, active steering, rear side impact airbags, satellite radio, HD radio) and my dealer tells me to expect mid to late January for delivery. What phone number should I dial for any updates?

Also, I hate to whine, but I've been reading all of the conjecture regarding the new "updated" E60 set to be released early next year and I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake by ordering my car now. Should I have been more patient and held out for the '08? Or should I shut up and revel in the anticipation for the baddest car I've ever owned?

Thanks.
I had the same reservations when I heard about the details of the update. I ordered a 550 similar to yours, except steptronic, and here is how I calmed myself down. The majority of the changes are superficial. The exterior changes will not affect either of us because the M-kit replaces those parts. The shift lever changes for me, but not you, and i don't care for the new one anyway. There are some changes to the position of things on the door, that don't really matter. Our Nasca leather will be enough to distract anyone from minor trim changes. The one thing we will miss out on is new active buttons on the console for iDrive input. Those are an improvement, but nothing I can't live without. Also, being in the 550, the engine is very unlikely to change. All in all I don't think we missed anything and should be happy with our soon to arrive 550s.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I agree, nothing to be concerned about. I bet that the 08' changes are so minor that if you were at a light next to an 08' 550 w/aero kit 99% of people couldn't tell the difference. I wonder if they plan to change the wheels though? They have been in use for a while. As for the interior, I will be mildly jealous if the new doors offer dramatically more storage. Look at the 545 to 550, most people can't tell the difference. Don't sweat it.

I myself got nervous for a hot minute reading about a possible V8 twin turbo on the 08' 550, but I highly doubt that will happen. BMW has already announced plans to increase the power (and probably price) of the M5 for 2009. That will free up some room for a twin turbo 550. Not to flame, but a twin turbo 4.4 litre V8 producing 400 ft. lbs. of torque would 1) weight less than an M5 and 2) probably produce peak torque at less than 4500 rpms so basically around town and in more real life scenarios it would surely throw you back in your seat harder than an M5 whose 380 ft. lbs. peak at over 6000 revs.

Congrats on the car. You're going to love it.
DRP
Old 12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Members

Thanks so much for your replies... I do, in fact, feel better already. I can't wait until I can go for a spirited drive in the new car. I'll be sure and post some pics when it finally arrives.

I truly enjoy all of the input and the wealth of info. from you all.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drifter' post='367443' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:00 PM

Thanks.
Sounds like a great car - all the goodies. Just be aware (if you're not already) that getting the HD radio means your SAT NAV will not have real time traffic update capability.

Best of luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='367629' date='Dec 14 2006, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a great car - all the goodies. Just be aware (if you're not already) that getting the HD radio means your SAT NAV will not have real time traffic update capability.

Best of luck!
Hmmm. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info.. To be honest, I don't really travel outside of Birmingham too often (hence why I chose not to get the active cruise control) so I'm hoping that I won't miss the traffic updates so much...

Yet again another reason why I love this forum! Great knowledge from the members!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by drifter' post='367646' date='Dec 14 2006, 10:25 PM
Hmmm. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info.. To be honest, I don't really travel outside of Birmingham too often (hence why I chose not to get the active cruise control) so I'm hoping that I won't miss the traffic updates so much...

Yet again another reason why I love this forum! Great knowledge from the members!
No problem - driving in Atlanta, I thought the RTTI was more important than the HD radio. I would have loved to have been able to get it though.

By the way, how much did they charge you for the illuminated door sills? I've heard prices as high as $750.00.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Members

I wish that I could report some sort of deal that I garnered, but unfortunately I was charged the full $750.00. If there was one option that I was unsure of adding, this was it. However, I thought that it would be a nice touch in the long run. We'll see.

Quick Reply: At the Port