E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Poor range on diamond key remote... need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor range on diamond key remote... need opinions

Im hoping for some opinions from those who have been through this before. My remote is so bad now, that I can be standing right next to the car and the buttons still wont work. Only after a few tries it will respond, today i found myself looking like an idiot putting my key under my chin.

any way after some research it seems changing the diversity amplifier/antenna behind the 3 brake light seems to be the common fix. I was just wondering before i troll into bmw to get it replaced, should i try to change out the battery in the key? in my mind if the key gets recharged by the car maybe its pointless but I'm also thinking if the battery is no good its not holding the charge anymore and therefore the reception is very weak? any thoughts i figure it would be a good time to change it because i plan on doing the diamond key to switch blade key fob mod

so should i even bother with the battery or just make my appointment at the stealership for the diversity swap?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I had the same problem - key doesn't work from distance. I bought a new key from BMW since I didn't want to mess with replacing the battery in the fob. New key didn't solve the problem. I thought the diversity amp fins/connectors may be oxidized or not making good connection; I removed the diversity amp and all the fins were in perfect condition and they were making good contact. So, amp must've been failing.
So, I bought a new diversity amp on-line for $222 including shipping. It took me about 30 minutes to replace the amp.

I recommend you buy the diversity amp online and replace it yourself. Search for DIY instructions. I'd bet dealer will charge at least $600 for replacing (part+labor) diversity amp.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

i saw the diy i consider myself handy and i have taken my door panels off before and my dash and center console apart so maybe changing the diversity amp might be something i can handle, did you improvement when i switched the amp ? also Im wondering why could there be corrosion or oxidation is it because of sunroof leak?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Diversity amp replacement solved my problem. Now my key (old key as well as new key) works from far end of the parking lot in the mall.

As for the oxidation of the contacts, I didn't know whether there was anything wrong with the contacts [on the old diversity amp] or not. Another member had a similar problem and he stated that his diversity amp started working after he cleaned the contacts. So, I thought I could check it out and see if the contacts are clean and making good contact. Yes, sunroof drain leak can cause corrosion on the contacts.

If your car's rear seat can fold down, that will help (you can sit on the folded seat and 'look in to' the roof liner after removing the C-pillar cover.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 550i M Sport, 6 Speed Manual

I'm experiencing the same thing with my 550. Does it come down to the point where the key won't work at all? Or is it more of just a nuisance?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Well I've never gotten to a point where I couldn't lock or get into my car but its just so annoying not to mention embarrassing when you drive a "BMW" and regular things start acting up. I took pcy advise and ordered a new diversity amp I found it cheapest for about 230 crossing my fingers that install goes smoothly and it solves my issues. Heck I know people with viper alarms that can lock/unlock from like 5 blocks away......, smh ill keep you posted
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 550i M Sport, 6 Speed Manual

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Well I've never gotten to a point where I couldn't lock or get into my car but its just so annoying not to mention embarrassing when you drive a "BMW" and regular things start acting up. I took pcy advise and ordered a new diversity amp I found it cheapest for about 230 crossing my fingers that install goes smoothly and it solves my issues. Heck I know people with viper alarms that can lock/unlock from like 5 blocks away......, smh ill keep you posted

Looks like one more thing I am going to have to add to my list of things to do! Yes, please keep us posted! Goodluck.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Put the key up to your head then try to unlock LOL.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Members

Also have this issue! Not to the point where it doesnt work at all, but the range is only a few feet. Keep us posted!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Put the key up to your head then try to unlock LOL.

Top Gear - Jeremy Clarkson tests central locking range - BBC - YouTube
I'm gonna send the video to mythbusters so they can crack this case open

Quick Reply: Poor range on diamond key remote... need opinions