E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

The G8 is an imported, rebadged Australian designed and built Holden Commodore SS V8.

It is a hot and speced up V8 version of our basic 6 cylinder family/fleet car here in Australia. They are good value for money in performance terms (especially as they are cheaper to you guys then we pay here despite building them) but do not age well and are built to a 'low' price. They are in a different league than the E60 in terms of materials employed and build quality.

Having said that there are few better value RWD performance sedans on the market. Personally though I would not buy one because I value engineering, R&D and build quality. The G8/Commodore is an example of performance gained by merely putting a large capacity inefficient motor under the bonnet of a marginally beefed up value based package built with cheapest available components.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ew?modelid=4006
Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

After owning a M5 eating 480 rwhp Cadillac (yes, it turned and stopped as good as any Bimmer), I'm quite happy with my E60. But damn I miss the 3rd gear pulling power of the CTS-V.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='554214' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:30 AM
...To them, their car is "just as good as a BMW" but was less expensive. In my opinion, it's a lot like the typical Lexus buyer -- they see value in the savings off of sticker but they don't see (or choose not to see) the big picture "package" that the higher priced German cars offer.
Not sure if I'd lump typical Pontiac buyers with typical Lexus buyers. First, Lexus prices aren't too far from BMW prices. Second, Pontiac buyers are typically "most bang for the buck in a sporty package" types. Lexus buyers (I've owned two recently) are typically "non-sporty luxury that never breaks" types. Why did I return to BMW after mixed luck with a 3 and a 7? I guess, in my heart, I'm a "wants German design and engineering despite knowing it'll be in the shop sometimes" type.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='554231' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:14 PM
When I pick up my new car today I'm going straight to Pontiac and trading it for 2 G8's
Yeah baby !!!!! Pontiac rocks
er......... I .......... uhh wish to retract the previous statement
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Edmunds review.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=124876

"Fast, nimble and comfortable, and an awesome value besides; Pontiac builds the poor man's 5 Series."

"With that tank topped off with premium, our scales say 51.4 percent of the G8's weight is carried by its front tires. Pontiac says that evens out to a 50/50 split when there's a driver and a passenger aboard. We flogged it with an empty right seat and found the G8's balance to be ideal. There's good turn-in, slight understeer at the limit and power oversteer when you want it."

"And when the road turns, things get even better. All G8s, V6- or V8-powered, get the same suspension tuning. GM calls the setup FE2, and it delivers a ride and handling compromise that falls just short of perfect."
Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Premium Space Grey
Thumbs up

Why not a comparison of the G8 with the CTS?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jsal' post='554300' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:55 AM
I have rented a G-8 many of times on business, and can't wait until I get back in my BMW.
The new G8 is only just hitting the dealers, it's barely available. I don't think you could have rented this particular car. G6 perhaps?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GoRovers' post='554618' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:29 PM
Not sure if I'd lump typical Pontiac buyers with typical Lexus buyers. First, Lexus prices aren't too far from BMW prices. Second, Pontiac buyers are typically "most bang for the buck in a sporty package" types. Lexus buyers (I've owned two recently) are typically "non-sporty luxury that never breaks" types. Why did I return to BMW after mixed luck with a 3 and a 7? I guess, in my heart, I'm a "wants German design and engineering despite knowing it'll be in the shop sometimes" type.
I agree with you and feel that some clarification of my original statement is needed here -- I wasn't trying to lump Pontiac buyers and Lexus buyers together, I was thinking of the people who shop or compare BMW to Pontiac or BMW to Lexus and end up buying the Pontiac or Lexus because they couldn't quite see why they should pay the premium for the BMW (again, that doesn't mean all Pontiac or Lexus customers -- I agree with your example that some Lexus buyers choose that marque because they're looking for non-sporty and reliable over sporty and less reliable.)

I think that many of these would-be BMW customers usually end up telling themselves that the Pontiac or Lexus is "just as good" as the BMW and they feel that the money they saved was a good choice. I'm fine with them doing that but I don't have to agree. I'm like you, I prefer the German design and German engineering over Japanese reliability and I'm willing to pay the premium for what I want...

(After re-reading that rambling, I'm not sure I succeeded in clarifying anything -- does that make sense to anyone else?)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='554233
The G8 is an imported, rebadged Australian designed and built Holden Commodore SS V8.

It is a hot and speced up V8 version of our basic 6 cylinder family/fleet car here in Australia. They are good value for money in performance terms (especially as they are cheaper to you guys then we pay here despite building them) but do not age well and are built to a 'low' price. They are in a different league than the E60 in terms of materials employed and build quality.

Having said that there are few better value RWD performance sedans on the market. Personally though I would not buy one because I value engineering, R&D and build quality. The G8/Commodore is an example of performance gained by merely putting a large capacity inefficient motor under the bonnet of a marginally beefed up value based package built with cheapest available components.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ew?modelid=4006
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

...with BMW that you either get a great car with limited issues or you get a head ache that never goes away...
I fall into the latter category...

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60