E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How many owners and what cars suffer Transmission slam?
Diesel - No Slam
10.26%
Diesel Yes Slam
15.38%
Petrol No Slam
39.74%
Petrol Yes Slam
34.62%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Tranmission Slam Survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:51 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55
Thumbs up

Poll for steptronic owners only please.

Transmission slam is charaterised by initial failure to move off from rest or near rest, despite rise in revs. This is followed after a delay of up to 1 sec by sudden engagement of drive and momentum.

BMW / ZF claim this is a normal charactersitic of the cars, especially diesels.

If it is, the majority of owners should experience it.

Do they? I doubt it.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:48 AM
KAF
Contributors

Please keep the votes coming guys.

I need data to refute the claim of BMW that my car, and others are exhibiting 'normal characteristics'

If you do not have a slam problem please vote,
this is just as useful as those who do have slam in determining if some of us suffer unduly from this issue to justify it being a 'fault'.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Happy to say that no trans problems with my previous nor the new 525iA.

But I must say the '04 units transmission was not as smooth as in my new.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Wow!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='256281' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:51 PM
Poll for steptronic owners only please.

Transmission slam is charaterised by initial failure to move off from rest or near rest, despite rise in revs. This is followed after a delay of up to 1 sec by sudden engagement of drive and momentum.

BMW / ZF claim this is a normal charactersitic of the cars, especially diesels.

If it is, the majority of owners should experience it.

Do they? I doubt it.

I don't quite know how to vote on this. I DO experience a momentary delay when accelerating hard, followed by MAJOR acceleration, but I'm not sure this is the SLAM described by others on this forum as 'like being rear ended by a truck'.

If the question is - does the transmission hesitate before acting on the input - then the answer is a big YES.

What I don't get is a SLAM - a violent lurching - I just get the rapid acceleration I would have LIKED to have got a split second earlier.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='256998' date='Mar 18 2006, 02:46 PM
I don't quite know how to vote on this. I DO experience a momentary delay when accelerating hard, followed by MAJOR acceleration, but I'm not sure this is the SLAM described by others on this forum as 'like being rear ended by a truck'.

If the question is - does the transmission hesitate before acting on the input - then the answer is a big YES.

What I don't get is a SLAM - a violent lurching - I just get the rapid acceleration I would have LIKED to have got a split second earlier.
If your speaking in terms of accelerating hard off the line with a delay, I would imagine that would be the dealy in the electronic throttle that is common on newer BMW's.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by windnsea00' post='257000' date='Mar 18 2006, 10:48 PM
If your speaking in terms of accelerating hard off the line with a delay, I would imagine that would be the dealy in the electronic throttle that is common on newer BMW's.
I experience the delay from a standing start or when accelerating hard whilst already in motion.

It's frustrating, as is the fact that the tranny is obviously not mapped specifically for the diesel engine, but I am not sure it is the SLAM that is being experienced by others.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by windnsea00' post='257000' date='Mar 19 2006, 12:48 AM
No a bad view of the matter!

But this has to do with the programming of the engine and gearbox,
which has improved a lot since '03.

The CIP's are above 20 now...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

It is the delay that most people seem to get, as though the car is in neutral, this is followed by a 'slam' effect which feels like the car suddenly drops into gear and takes off.

Interesting that a characteristic that ZF claim is mostly due to the high early torque of a diesel engine, is in fact felt by so many owners of petrol models.

Whilst the responses of this poll will be skewed towards gas owning members in the US, who are in a majority, I am surprised at the high percentage who report problems.

Maybe my car is not so unusual and that I am just a moaning old git ! :'(
Old 03-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='257130' date='Mar 19 2006, 10:03 AM
It is the delay that most people seem to get, as though the car is in neutral, this is followed by a 'slam' effect which feels like the car suddenly drops into gear and takes off.
I've added a YES vote based on this.

Whilst the split second delay is a bit of a bind, I tend to compensate for this in driving style now I am used to it.

So i'll tend to accelerate moderately to avoid the transmission needlessly changing down and try to 'ride' the big wave of torque in the 530d at 2000rpm.

This moderate approach feels faster than flooring it, since the transmission will still drop a gear (after a delay), even if though that will REDUCE the available torque.

This all suggests to me that the transmission is NOT properly mapped to the diesel engine performance.

Quick Reply: Poll - Tranmission Slam Survey