E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Plus Unleaded

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 530I and is currently running Premium unleaded and with the gas price in Texas up to 4.29 a gallon for Premium and promising to get higher before the month of April runs out will running Plus unleaded damage my car ?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by NSBMW04
I have a 2004 530I and is currently running Premium unleaded and with the gas price in Texas up to 4.29 a gallon for Premium and promising to get higher before the month of April runs out will running Plus unleaded damage my car ?
If you work out the actual difference between the cost of a tank of premium and the cost of a tank of regular or mid-grade it's pretty negligible... Your car will run fine on regular, it will adjust timing accordingly, but it may not give its all under all conditions.

As an aside, and this observation is *not* aimed at you, but if the the less that two dollars per tankful needed to fill up with premium fuel creates issues for anyone they probably ought not to be driving a premium German car in the first place...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

The car is designed for Premium and it should be fed Premium. Yes the car will compensate for the lower octane, but it might cause some more costly side effects in the future.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames
If you work out the actual difference between the cost of a tank of premium and the cost of a tank of regular or mid-grade it's pretty negligible... Your car will run fine on regular, it will adjust timing accordingly, but it may not give its all under all conditions.

As an aside, and this observation is *not* aimed at you, but if the the less that two dollars per tankful needed to fill up with premium fuel creates issues for anyone they probably ought not to be driving a premium German car in the first place...

Thanks Guys I am going to stick with Premium unleaded for all that it worth the car is running fine and I do not need that to change in any way ist for saving a few bucks.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by NSBMW04
Thanks Guys I am going to stick with Premium unleaded for all that it worth the car is running fine and I do not need that to change in any way ist for saving a few bucks.

Im glad to hear swajames set you straight...
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

Here we go again with the gas debate. You will NOT hurt your car by putting regular gas in it, unless you're running high compression as in most turbocharged/supercharged vehicles. You may experience slightly fewer MPG, and slightly fewer HP, although you're not likely to notice the difference unless you're really into performance. You SHOULD NOT let anyone guilt you out of saving money, whether you can afford it or not. Need proof?

Pay close attention to the 5th paragraph of the article:
http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/126...ctane-gasoline
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Members

Seems to me, the bottom line supports SWAJAMES contention. It's just a few bucks you're saving... and even that's questionable. If you REALLY want to save money, look for a car which is designed primarily for the budget conscious.

And that is not BMW's market I'm sorry to say!

(Good article, BTW.)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Members

Petrol/Gas prices in Germany - $7.66 a Gallon

A friend of a friend visiting from Germany. This is what they have to deal with!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamingfloor/5489877909/
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kajin99
Here we go again with the gas debate. You will NOT hurt your car by putting regular gas in it, unless you're running high compression as in most turbocharged/supercharged vehicles. You may experience slightly fewer MPG, and slightly fewer HP, although you're not likely to notice the difference unless you're really into performance. You SHOULD NOT let anyone guilt you out of saving money, whether you can afford it or not. Need proof?

Pay close attention to the 5th paragraph of the article:
http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/126...ctane-gasoline

The actual quote from that 5th paragraph supports exactly what pretty much everyone here has posted already - the car will run fine with regular fuel, but it will not perform its best under all circumstances.

"Thomas Plucinsky, BMW Product and Technology Communications Manager told us all BMW engines are designed to run on 91 octane. All performance testing, including EPA emissions and fuel mileage, is done with 91 octane. However, though BMW is all about performance, their motors will run on 89 or 87 octane without damage. The knock sensors pull the ignition timing back and eliminate detonation. There will be a loss of power and a decrease in fuel mileage, but the size of the horsepower loss and the increase in fuel consumption depends upon many factors, such as ambient temperature, exact formulation of the fuel and driving technique, so BMW does not offer any estimates for operation on lower grade fuels. One not so obvious concern, Mr. Plucinsky noted, is the type and quality of additives the gasoline companies include in the fuel. Premium gasolines may have better additive packages which are more effective keeping fuel systems (particularly injectors) clean and working efficiently, than those in regular grade fuels or off-brand products. Using lower octane or off-brand fuel could be degrading the fuel system over time, setting you up for a repair bill down the line."

Simply put, for the sake of a couple of bucks per tank, why suffer the performance hit (and BMW acknowledges that there is indeed a performance hit) and why take the risk?

I am back to my original contention. If a few bucks per tank is a big enough deal to you to go against the manufacturers recommendations, you really have no business whatsoever being in a premium car.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

Search will provide tons of info if you should or not. Some say they have higher MPG on 87, other like myself saw a reduced MPG and the test (5 weeks) proved that there was no savings. I cannot add any more other than search and you will have plenty of reading

Quick Reply: Plus Unleaded