E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

PLEASE HELP SICK E60 545 N62 smoking and wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

One thing to consider is an intake gasket seal failure. Removing the intake again may be a good thing.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 E60 N62, DINAN AIR BOX, THROTTLE BODY, EXHAUST, STAGE THREE SOFTWARE.....19" MAYA STK 5 SPOKE W/PS2 255/35 19 AND 295/30 19, BMW REAR SPOILER(M TECH FRONT AND REAR APRONS COMING SOON) FACTORY EJECT BOX FOR IPONE 3GS, IPOD INTERFACE(OF DARN NO CD CHANGER ANYMORE) NAV, I DRIVE(I LOVE IT) JUST DID THE ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS(2.5 HOURS MY AZZ) AND THE M FOOTREST, DINANA MATS, ADJ KONIS FRONT STANDARD REAR, JUST ORDER DINAN STRUT BRACES, NEXT MONO BALL AND CAMBER PLATES AND THEN OFF TO THE TRACK

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
One thing to consider is an intake gasket seal failure. Removing the intake again may be a good thing.
Since the gasket is a steel shim gasket,and was replaced when i had the intake off this week, what should I look for to determine if a failure existed, btw, the engine was hosed off while running, to get gunk and crud off from the under the intake cleanup I did and to knock a socket I dropped out from the back side of the motor, and when I ran water all over the upper and lower portions of the intake there was no change in the running, which I would have suspected if there had been a failure, and yes, I really am fighting taking this car to a dealer, I am currently out of work, and my friend at a dealership in CA will ship me parts on credit, so I can keep changing stuff till the cows come home, but I don?t want to....just really perplexing me as to how the oil is so built up in the intake and if the problem that was allowing it to build up is gone and its all the residual that I?m still burning off, or if the problem still exists.....it?s just wracking my brain....

I do have to say, after reading some other threads and the like, I wasn?t surprised that you two are the ones who have replied first, and I am very happy to have your input as you both seem knowledgeable, and I appreciate your input and assistance
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by douglassimi
Since the gasket is a steel shim gasket,and was replaced when i had the intake off this week, what should I look for to determine if a failure existed, btw, the engine was hosed off while running, to get gunk and crud off from the under the intake cleanup I did and to knock a socket I dropped out from the back side of the motor, and when I ran water all over the upper and lower portions of the intake there was no change in the running, which I would have suspected if there had been a failure, and yes, I really am fighting taking this car to a dealer, I am currently out of work, and my friend at a dealership in CA will ship me parts on credit, so I can keep changing stuff till the cows come home, but I don?t want to....just really perplexing me as to how the oil is so built up in the intake and if the problem that was allowing it to build up is gone and its all the residual that I?m still burning off, or if the problem still exists.....it?s just wracking my brain....

I do have to say, after reading some other threads and the like, I wasn?t surprised that you two are the ones who have replied first, and I am very happy to have your input as you both seem knowledgeable, and I appreciate your input and assistance
Its truly a pleasure to assist. I remember when I first started modding. Lots of questions with awesome answers. Though the site has matured over the years, the desire to assist whenever I can remains.

Back to the car. Were the VANOS motors removed? It may not be a bad idea to reset adaptation values within the engine management modules. There are so many variables on this car. So many sensors. get some electrical contact cleaner rated safe for electronics. Start removing sensor connections, spray, and plug back in when dry. Ensure a tight plug on the intake manifold adjuster motor on the rear of the intake. Perplexing!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 E60 N62, DINAN AIR BOX, THROTTLE BODY, EXHAUST, STAGE THREE SOFTWARE.....19" MAYA STK 5 SPOKE W/PS2 255/35 19 AND 295/30 19, BMW REAR SPOILER(M TECH FRONT AND REAR APRONS COMING SOON) FACTORY EJECT BOX FOR IPONE 3GS, IPOD INTERFACE(OF DARN NO CD CHANGER ANYMORE) NAV, I DRIVE(I LOVE IT) JUST DID THE ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS(2.5 HOURS MY AZZ) AND THE M FOOTREST, DINANA MATS, ADJ KONIS FRONT STANDARD REAR, JUST ORDER DINAN STRUT BRACES, NEXT MONO BALL AND CAMBER PLATES AND THEN OFF TO THE TRACK

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Its truly a pleasure to assist. I remember when I first started modding. Lots of questions with awesome answers. Though the site has matured over the years, the desire to assist whenever I can remains.

Back to the car. Were the VANOS motors removed? It may not be a bad idea to reset adaptation values within the engine management modules. There are so many variables on this car. So many sensors. get some electrical contact cleaner rated safe for electronics. Start removing sensor connections, spray, and plug back in when dry. Ensure a tight plug on the intake manifold adjuster motor on the rear of the intake. Perplexing!
VANOS motors, by that you mean the actuator located in the middle of both valve covers, no those were not removed.

Is the adaptation values reset done soley by disconnecting the battery, or do i need to plug into the DME to clear those items.

Ya, ive done all the wiggle wire tests and the like, i just cant seem to do anything to the car that will change the way it runs.....and im not sure if im chasing two issues with the smoke plume and rough idle, or if they are one in the same.

Any idea about what would make the car run perfect until it reaches normail operating tempature.....i mean its flawless....the whistle is gone and everything, then its just like POOF..here i am again to run like crap....ill try the electrical connector stuff tomorrow when i pull the motor back apart....this is really driving me nuts....

Any idea what size external torx socket i need to remove the retainers on the coils
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Members

update....

so I'm back to playing around with stuff.....disconnecting and what not.....pulled off the ccv valve cover and started the motor, what i thought was my intake leak whistle sound, turns out to be the ccv valve......removed the valve while the engine was running and pulled the spring located under the valve, whistle went away and the engine idled....PERFECT.....put the spring back in and it runs like crap and whistles, put in one of the original valves that was still ok, and the same condition exists.....WTH?????
Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Stretch the spring and re install
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

, also there is a whistle like a vacuum leak which I can?t seem to find, shocking as these engines don?t produce engine vacuum like a standard engine, hence the need for a vacuum pump.
Who told you this? take the oil cap off, start the car and you'll find out the answer to this real quick. All of these cars have a vacuum. hence "Vacuum leak"

btw, the engine was hosed off while running, to get gunk and crud off from the under the intake cleanup
I hope the engine was cold!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

double post
Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Members

Did a test today, and started it cold and watched the temp, and time it took from a cold start to see the issue arise, granted not really cold out, 86 ambient, but it took 9 mins from start at only idle for rough idle to begin and the exact temp was 70c or 158f....will test again tomorrow and see if same results
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Who told you this? take the oil cap off, start the car and you'll find out the answer to this real quick. All of these cars have a vacuum. hence "Vacuum leak"

not that dont create any vacuum, just not very much at idle, hence the vacuum pump for the brake booster.

I hope the engine was cold!
Yes, the engine was cold, i had just finished changing the water pump, and this seems to be the time when it all went wrong, i want to point the finger at the job i did, but have thoroughly gone over everything i could have possibly touched or left unplugs or what, and can not find a single thing wrong....just baffeled, have two dealerships in ca trying to provide me phone support and even they are stumped.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP SICK E60 545 N62 smoking and wont idle