E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Playing with DTC/DSC!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Had to try out the electronics tonight. Nice bit of simple ABS then some serious throttle to provoke things!

Managed to break traction in 4th gear going up a hill - TC light went mad Then, best of all, bit of stick round a bend. I am seriously impressed in how the impending rear-out slide was corrected by reducing the power and probably lots of other things (selective braking/active steering?) - gives you a safe feeling but I hope that stuff never needs to kick in for real
Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

when sliding around do you noticeably feel the DSC kick in?

ive just went over the break-in period and am looking forward to finding an empty parking lot on a rainy day and having some fun
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Jul 27 2005, 11:45 PM
Had to try out the electronics tonight.? Nice bit of simple ABS then some serious throttle to provoke things!

Managed to break traction in 4th gear going up a hill - TC light went mad? ? Then, best of all, bit of stick round a bend.? I am seriously impressed in how the impending rear-out slide was corrected by reducing the power and probably lots of other things (selective braking/active steering?) - gives you a safe feeling but I hope that stuff never needs to kick in for real?
[snapback]153769[/snapback]
You are welcome to Finland next winter and really enjoy driving your car without the DSC.

This is where fun begins!

But be good, if you can't be good be careful
Old 07-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Jul 28 2005, 12:37 PM
when sliding around do you noticeably feel the DSC kick in?
OH YES!!! You really feel the power reduce and the car slip back into line!!! No some ICE would be fun!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Jul 28 2005, 10:28 PM
[quote name='pipper' date='Jul 28 2005, 12:37 PM']when sliding around do you noticeably feel the DSC kick in?
OH YES!!! You really feel the power reduce and the car slip back into line!!! No some ICE would be fun!!!
[snapback]154059[/snapback]
[/quote]

I really don't like DSC on ice/snow! It comes in too late and result is that both (car and driver) make correction and that looks very much uncontrol. Best way is to just hold wheel straight, but reflexs (mine) kick in and that's why it's difficult to keep wheels straight.

On asphalt it works like thought, though.

Skaffa
Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

DSC saved my car a few weeks ago when overtaking a trailer truck in Switzerland on a hilly road, I accelerated full power on a lightly wet road. The car downshifted from 5 th to 3 rd and the wheels start just spinning trigering a slide of the rear axle. Before I had time to realise what was hapenning and initiate recovery action, the DSC took action and stabilised car smothly whithout major loss of power.

Conclusion: the DSC is very well programmed. It is very usefull with a car with 560 Nm in emergency. But I can realise that driving in Finland on snowy road with good winter tyres can be very funny for expert used to it.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Members

I thought I would send you this extract from a post I made about the 6 Driving Experience at the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. I own a 545 and my wife drives a 645Ci. While the cars are different, the DTC/DSC should be the same.

"There were two 645s and we got to drive them on the skid pad with the DSC turned off. The goal was to put the cars into an oversteer skid a few times, recover from the skid then turn on the DSC and see the difference it made in handling on the skid pad. I got in the car, the staffer told me to put the left front wheel on the yellow line on the inside of the skid pad, floor the accelerator and keep it on the floor. I checked twice to ensure I heard the "floor it" part correctly as this WAS the skid pad and it was soaking wet! I then proceeded to steer to the yellow line and put the accelerator on the floor and hold it there. In less than 10 seconds, the back end of this beautiful car was flying out to the right and we were in a bad oversteer and spinning. I did not recover from the first, second or third spin! I had a total of three spins before completing one circuit of the pad. The next time around, I looked over my right shoulder as the back end broke loose and promptly steered the car off the skid pad and into the ditch! We got back on the track, and I did fine for the next skid. However, on the following skid, I was back into the ditch! This time, I was so far in the soft mud of the ditch the car could not drive forward onto the skid pad. The staff member had me put it in reverse and that baby backed right out of the ditch and back onto the skid pad. This time the staffer turned on the DSC and I was in awe as the car just about drove itself around the skid pad in an oversteer situation WITH the accelerator on the floor. My wife took her turn on the track and promptly told the staffer she was NOT going to spin out the car. He took over driving to give her a "demonstration" and and proceeded to not only correct from the oversteer, but get control and keep it in a sideways drift around the skid pad for at least two revolutions!"

You can bet after my experience at the Performance Center in the 645, the first thing I did when I came back home was make sure the DSC was on in the 545! I hope this helps!