E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pitted windshield on new car

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Ok, driving into the sun today I noticed that my windshield has a lot of tiny pits that sparkle in the sunlight...I almost thought it was water. My car has less than 3,000 miles on it and has never been driven in winter or on dirt roads, etc. This is really disapointing for a brand new car. BMWs are known for soft glass, but in previous cars it has always taken a year or two before the pits became noticeable. And on the e60 you can feel the pits on the outside of the glass. I can't imagine what the car will look like at 3 years and 36k miles

What's going on with the windshields BMW??? :thumbsdown:
Old 06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Just under 5,000 miles myself and same observation.

It's all the crap on our freeways: stuff falling off trucks and the pavement we drive on disintegrating.

Imagine if we had freezes and cinders put down on the roads (in Southern California).

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 18 2005, 07:12 PM
Ok, driving into the sun today I noticed that my windshield has a lot of tiny pits that sparkle in the sunlight...I almost thought it was water.? My car has less than 3,000 miles on it and has never been driven in winter or on dirt roads, etc.? This is really disapointing for a brand new car.? BMWs are known for soft glass, but in previous cars it has always taken a year or two before the pits became noticeable.? And on the e60 you can feel the pits on the outside of the glass.? I can't imagine what the car will look like at 3 years and 36k miles

What's going on with the windshields BMW??? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]140798[/snapback]
Old 06-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Maybe it's a California thing, because I noticed it on my car several thousand miles ago...maybe around 5k. Interesting to hear I'm not the only one to notice it...
Old 06-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Jun 18 2005, 09:59 PM
Maybe it's a California thing, because I noticed it on my car several thousand miles ago...maybe around 5k.? Interesting to hear I'm not the only one to notice it...
[snapback]140828[/snapback]
I don't think its a California thing...because I haven't noticed it on other make cars and certainly the road debris in California is less than areas that have winter where they sand/gravel the roads. Also half of the miles on my car were done in Germany during Euro Delivery.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 18 2005, 10:27 PM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Jun 18 2005, 09:59 PM']Maybe it's a California thing, because I noticed it on my car several thousand miles ago...maybe around 5k.? Interesting to hear I'm not the only one to notice it...
[snapback]140828[/snapback]
I don't think its a California thing...because I haven't noticed it on other make cars and certainly the road debris in California is less than areas that have winter where they sand/gravel the roads. Also half of the miles on my car were done in Germany during Euro Delivery.
[snapback]140831[/snapback]
[/quote]

yeah, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek on my part....I was just noticing that the three of us posting about this problem were all from CA
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Contributors

I'm sure it's not just CA, although I too got a nasty windshield rock chip and a slight scratch below the door from a foreign metallic object that I tried to avoid, but could not, after a truck ran over the metallic object in front of me a made it go hurtling in my direction!
Old 06-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

There is so much debris on the freeway, I've seen matresses, dog houses, wheel barrows. etc. in addition to the usual tires (complete and pieces thereof), car parts, and of course ladders.

A couple of months ago I ran over something approaching an 18" long piece of 2x4, it was just there, out of the blue, was totally invisible until I hit it with my left front. It kicked up and took out the deflector lip in front of the left rear and put a gouge in the left tank cover (a piece of underbody plastic). Easy to replace both parts and no other damage fortunately but after I hit it I could see in my rear view mirror that it went spinning right into the front bumber of the car behind me. I imagine it could have easily poked a hole in it.

People get killed by debris on the road. We had two men riding in a mini van get decapitated a few months back when a large metal clamp off of a truck sailed over the center divider and through the passenger side of their windshield. Throw in the occasional shooting and I'm thinking next time around I need to look at one of BMW's Protection packages.

Just ranting. At least they've finally repaved some sections of the freeway at the 5 and 2 but even the concrete sections were often so poorly done that they need a total redo.

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Jun 19 2005, 12:24 AM
I'm sure it's not just CA, although I too got a nasty windshield rock chip and a slight scratch below the door from a foreign metallic object that I tried to avoid, but could not, after a truck ran over the metallic object in front of me a made it go hurtling in my direction!
[snapback]140846[/snapback]
Old 06-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've noticed this on my car from the beginning. In bright sunlight at certain angles, you can see hundreds of sparkles--I assume it's the quality (clarity) of the glass, as opposed to road damage.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Same here! I think there is hundreds of small holes on the windshield. :'( Poor quality, but what one can doo?

Skaffa
Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Well, you know the other thing I have noticed is that the plastic lense covers over the headlights are just as pitted. I don't notice it unless it's a bit dark and the lights are on. I also have several small rock chips on my windshield......it's to be expected that with a large windshield like that it wouldn't be unheard of to get hit once in a while, but I've had the car for a year, and less than 12k miles, and I have about 5 or 6 small chips. Just seems excessive in the time period, and compared to my other vehicles.

Quick Reply: Pitted windshield on new car