E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "pillow" headrests

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 3 2005, 11:59 AM
Are you talking about the two "flaps" or "bolsters" that pull out so one's head doesn't roll around when snoozing??

They are purely mechanical...no electronics to move 'em in and out.? I like them...pretty cool.? My wife LOVED them during our recent 4600 mile excursion through BC and Alberta (Canada).? Should could snooze and it would keep her head from that sudden "I'm about to fall asleep head jolt".?
[snapback]178604[/snapback]
I would just retrofit with one of those traveling pillows . . . you know the ones that inflate like a donut and wrap around your head . . . cheap, easy, and removable. No more neck doze. . .

Though, I'm jealous and regret that did not get comfort seats. They are really comfortable, but I used the $1200 to get an iJoy massage chair at home. So it works out.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Oct 3 2005, 05:37 PM
do those pillow head rest from comfort seat have different width of their two plugs to the seat? I mean I do not understand why they would not fit standart or sport seat???
[snapback]178560[/snapback]
Yep. Width of the poles is wider. That'S why they don't fit on any other seat.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

there is a DIY solution i think, just bend the poles
Old 10-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 3 2005, 02:31 PM
[quote name='Peter530i' date='Oct 3 2005, 05:37 PM']do those pillow head rest from comfort seat have different width of their two plugs to the seat? I mean I do not understand why they would not fit standart or sport seat???
[snapback]178560[/snapback]
Yep. Width of the poles is wider. That'S why they don't fit on any other seat.
[snapback]178738[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya BMW was smart enough to not allow an easy swap of the head rest to get those pillows... else I would have had them in my car already!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

Oh they're really comfy
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:06 AM
no, they cannot be retrofitted to any other seat. The Poles are too large to fit the regular, sports or premium seats.

Its been debated over many times ... and 1 memeber if i remember correctly managed to make it happen with ALOT of custom work ... however the headrest is a vital safety part of your car, i would not go & mess with it. If it brakes during an accident, it may just cause you neck & back damage. my $0.02
[snapback]178606[/snapback]
The comfort seats have "active head restraints" that move forward in certain types of collisions. Neither the standard or sport seats have this function - it lessens any damage to the neck. This is why they are not intended to be swapped from seat to seat. The IIHS tests on the E60 indicate that they do work, and gave the cars so equipped a much better rating than w/o active head restraints.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Oct 5 2005, 11:56 AM
The comfort seats have "active head restraints" that move forward in certain types of collisions. Neither the standard or sport seats have this function - it lessens any damage to the neck. This is why they are not intended to be swapped from seat to seat.? The IIHS tests on the E60 indicate that they do work, and gave the cars so equipped a much better rating than w/o active head restraints.
[snapback]179905[/snapback]

I thought the sports seats had it too...
Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Oct 5 2005, 02:56 PM
[quote name='wiszmaster' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:06 AM']no, they cannot be retrofitted to any other seat. The Poles are too large to fit the regular, sports or premium seats.

Its been debated over many times ... and 1 memeber if i remember correctly managed to make it happen with ALOT of custom work ... however the headrest is a vital safety part of your car, i would not go & mess with it. If it brakes during an accident, it may just cause you neck & back damage. my $0.02
The comfort seats have "active head restraints" that move forward in certain types of collisions. Neither the standard or sport seats have this function - it lessens any damage to the neck. This is why they are not intended to be swapped from seat to seat. The IIHS tests on the E60 indicate that they do work, and gave the cars so equipped a much better rating than w/o active head restraints.
[/quote]

um ... i'm not quite sure that is correct. I believe its an optional feature ... but not standard .. and not available in the US yet. ... like i said .. not positive .. but thats what i was under the impression of.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:36 AM
[quote name='DTAHT' date='Oct 5 2005, 02:56 PM'][quote name='wiszmaster' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:06 AM']no, they cannot be retrofitted to any other seat. The Poles are too large to fit the regular, sports or premium seats.

[/quote]

um ... i'm not quite sure that is correct. I believe its an optional feature ... but not standard .. and not available in the US yet. ... like i said .. not positive .. but thats what i was under the impression of.
[snapback]180380[/snapback]
[/quote]
well actually you're both right, you are right in saying that it's an optional feature under the comfort seats option and he's right in saying that it is avaible in the US and has been for a while.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ?gent99' post='178604' date='Oct 3 2005, 09:59 AM
Are you talking about the two "flaps" or "bolsters" that pull out so one's head doesn't roll around when snoozing?

They are purely mechanical...no electronics to move 'em in and out. I like them...pretty cool. My wife LOVED them during our recent 4600 mile excursion through BC and Alberta (Canada). Should could snooze and it would keep her head from that sudden "I'm about to fall asleep head jolt".
What is the proper positioning of the headrest "flaps". Are they supposed to wrap around the upper neck / lower portion of the head, or around the middle of the head? Sometimes it feels like the headrest tilts my head too far forward, however I'm sure it will just take awhile for me to play around with the articulated backrest adjustment on the comfort seats in my new 530i.

Quick Reply: The "pillow" headrests