E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picked Up a New 550i

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic car! Congratulations. Do you notice any difference between the engines? Does the 550i sound different compared to the 650i?
Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

nice, congrats!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Great post with useful information. I really like the look and love the interior. Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Members

congratulations!!! That is a beautiful car
Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by timewa' post='481869' date='Oct 15 2007, 03:54 PM
Fantastic car! Congratulations. Do you notice any difference between the engines? Does the 550i sound different compared to the 650i?
Enjoy!
The 550i is suprisingly different sounding than the 650i. It's quieter but with a pleasant gurgle as compared to the 650i's deeper rumble. When pushed, the engine and exhaust are noticed but never intrusive. Also the 650i had a "whirring" sound to the engine/intake. I don't notice that at all in the 550i. The 550i sound is more like the 745i/645i which I really liked.

The 535i may be almost as quick but if you've ever had a good V8, the engine note alone is worth the price difference.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Well, after 2 days, I'm getting to know her.... Here are a few more notes on the 550i.

It turns out, no dealer is perfect. I checked tire pressures Sunday. Both fronts were 3 psi low. I bumped them to 3 psi over. The rears were a hair over spec making them now 38/40 (f/r). Even adding 6 psi, the car is noticeably smoother riding than the 650i was. Its still firm but not jarring over sharp bumps or ripples in the highway. On top of the low pressure, the right front valve cap was missing. I checked a picture of the car, it was not on the moment I had gotten home from the dealer. I need to give them a call and have them send a matching one.

I got a chance to drive the car a bit. It handles very much the same as the 6er but does feel a bit taller. I also did a light bedding in of the brakes which made them less grabby and curred an occasional squeak.

The sport auto is a great tranny. Its nice and smooth like a normal auto (especially now that its learning my habits) but can be as agressive shifting and holding gears as you want it. Its not as quick or brutal shifting like SMGIII but it can certainly shift faster than I can shift a manual.

Today at work a coworker asked "There was a georgeous BMW 550i where you usually park. Know anything about it?" He knew I had talked about the 550i and knew it was mine. No one else had a clue I bought a new car but most of my car nut friends were out of the office today.

On the way home, I had to test the acceleration. I was following a slow car in a 45 mph zone, and moved over a lane to pass it. Once passed, I came up on a yellow light. Barely more than the weight of my foot made it an easy stop at the light. The car I just passed floored it and went through a red light!!! So typical of Charlotte slow pokes! While at the light a Ford Expedition pulls along side. This is an intersection where the lane I was in ends in a few hundred yards. The Expedition creeps forward and kind of rocks on the brake. I knew he was wanting to beat me to the merge so I put the tranny in sport mode. Normally the turn lanes go first but all lanes turned green and the Expedition got a 1/2 car length jump. I punched it to < 1/2 throttle, the car shot through first, and then through 2nd. No chirp and no DSC light. I backed off as it upshifted to 3rd and looked back. I was at least 100 yards ahead of the expedition effortlessly without really trying to race. It's definitely easier than a manual tranny to drive quickly. I do think I exceeded the recommended 4500rpm break in limit just a bit though:>

Oh, good news! I'll save $250 a year on car insurance, even though its valued $20k higher at this point!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='481981' date='Oct 15 2007, 04:24 PM
On the way home, I had to test the acceleration. I was following a slow car in a 45 mph zone, and moved over a lane to pass it. Once passed, I came up on a yellow light. Barely more than the weight of my foot made it an easy stop at the light. The car I just passed floored it and went through a red light!!! So typical of Charlotte slow pokes! While at the light a Ford Expedition pulls along side. This is an intersection where the lane I was in ends in a few hundred yards. The Expedition creeps forward and kind of rocks on the brake. I knew he was wanting to beat me to the merge so I put the tranny in sport mode. Normally the turn lanes go first but all lanes turned green and the Expedition got a 1/2 car length jump. I punched it to < 1/2 throttle, the car shot through first, and then through 2nd. No chirp and no DSC light. I backed off as it upshifted to 3rd and looked back. I was at least 100 yards ahead of the expedition effortlessly without really trying to race. It's definitely easier than a manual tranny to drive quickly. I do think I exceeded the recommended 4500rpm break in limit just a bit though:>

Oh, good news! I'll save $250 a year on car insurance, even though its valued $20k higher at this point!!!

Hahah how much discount did BMW give you to advertise like that?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

fantastic color combo...enjoy it!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

EXCELLENT MOVE

Love stories like this.....!!!

real happy for you matey....!!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats Richard in NC,

The interior is very, very stylish.

Makes me think...

Space Grey is, as I thought, a color of many shades.

Quick Reply: Picked Up a New 550i