E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pick up 545, SMG thoughts. and vs M3 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 2005 545 SMG. I have the sports, cold weatther, nav and osme other stuff I cant seem to recall right now.

SMG Review:

To put it simply, I dont understand why they even make alternate transmissions, the thing is great. The shifting is wonderful. I dont see how the reviewers complain about its "quirkiness". It took me 5 mins to get comfortable with it. Although, I supose im contradicting myself but I could imagine I would miss manual shifting every now and again which is why I have an M3 in the garage also.

545 vs. M3.

The 545 feels like a turtle compared to the M3, plain and simple. The M5 now.......................

IDRIVE

I get it and I think if your computer savvy you will get it also but my mom and dad would definitly get frustrated having to deal with that little quasi joystick thing. Its takes a little patience at first btu I would liken that to switching from Mac to PC circa 1992 when Bill Gates took over the free world with Windows 3.1.

Active Steering:

All of a sudden its hard to drive the M3. They need to make that an option on the M5, I would pay for it. I would describe it as, you feel as though you are driving an arcade game, its just that easy. NOTE: There was utterly NO learning curve on this. You get in and you drive and you forget you have active steering within seconds.

Audio:

I dont need to add anythign to this setup at alll

BMW Assist:

Excellent. I REALLY love the fact that it comes with its own built in LoJack, they just saved me $600.00 with that. I didnt know about the LoJack thing until today, you guys kept that a secret.,

That all I can think of now.
-e
Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Members

Congrats, evperry to get your 545 SMG!! Sounds you really love it!
How do you feel the difference in response between sports and normal mode? I am waiting for my 545 SMG as well, so just interested in how you feel...
Please post your pics.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

NICE! Congrats!!

Awww is the 545 that slow?? Turtle... Poo...
Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Members

Congrats!! evperry
I too have a 545iA, and I agree with the Active Steering... It's great- I can no-longer seem to drive my 04 LS430 correctly. After driving my 545iA, I was all over the my driveway just trying to get out.

Danny Z
Old 12-01-2004, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

congrats, evperry ! please post some pics of your new babe .
Old 12-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Dec 1 2004, 05:58 AM
The 545 feels like a turtle compared to the M3, plain and simple.
[snapback]62764[/snapback]
No.

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Dec 1 2004, 05:58 AM
BMW Assist:

Excellent.? I REALLY love the fact that it comes with its own built in LoJack, they just saved me $600.00 with that. I didnt know about the LoJack thing until today, you guys kept that a secret.,

That trace function is new, and I don't like ANY factory tracking devices, since the thief knows it's there and therefore he knows how to disable it.
But as long as you get better insurance rates...?

Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Nov 30 2004, 10:58 PM
<snip>
545 vs. M3.

The 545 feels like a turtle compared to the M3, plain and simple.? The M5 now.......................

<snip>
Active Steering:

All of a sudden its hard to drive the M3.? They need to make that an option on the M5, I would pay for it.? I would describe it as, you feel as though you are driving an arcade game, its just that easy.? NOTE: There was utterly NO learning curve on this.? You get in and you drive and you forget you have active steering within seconds.
-e
Enjoy your new car. Lessee now, which one is the turtle after you tried active steering?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Members

Ok.

The turtle would be the 545 compared to the M3. I should qualify this by saying the 545 is VERY agile and runs like an olympic track star but it gets the silver medal next to the M3 (E46). You just cant compare the two.

For some reason I have yet to depress that sports button, I think I will try that today, its VERY wet today in NYC so I suppose I will wait until tomorrow.

The idrive is a bit annoying now that I have played with it some more, they should have let Apple design the software not Microsoft.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Members

Oh yea and the "trace" function that comes with it, is supposedly located in different locations in each car. My guess is that a choice of a few different spots that the factory chooses from. In any event, there no way im getting lojack in addition to that system.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Nov 30 2004, 11:58 PM
I picked up my 2005 545 SMG.? I have the sports, cold weatther, nav and osme other stuff I cant seem to recall right now.

BMW Assist:

Excellent.? I REALLY love the fact that it comes with its own built in LoJack, they just saved me $600.00 with that. I didnt know about the LoJack thing until today, you guys kept that a secret.,

-e
congrats, and thanks for the quick review...one thing you should check though regarding BMW Assist vs LoJack... you have to pay each year after the initial year of ownership for this service, so if you have the car more than 3 years, I think its more costly to use BMW Assist.... LoJack is a one time fee that is hooked up to the police, I dont know how the recovery service w/BMW Assist works, but I dont think the police are involved until you ??? find the car??? and I wouldnt want to be the one who has to go following the signal...

let us know if you find out about this and good luck with the new ride...post some pix when you get a chance...

Quick Reply: Pick up 545, SMG thoughts. and vs M3 thoughts