E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Phantom trunk opening

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008
Unhappy

Seen a few posts on here about owners saying that the trunk on their E60 been opening by itself. Went to get in the car to go to work early this morning and found my 545's trunk wide open. Car was locked, and I know the trunk was shut last night as I check on the car every night before I go to bed, but there it was, wide open. Alarm had not gone off, and I'm 99% sure that no one had been playing with the key.... For other owners who have had this happen was it something that could be fixed through a s/w update?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

That's scary and Hallowe'en is like 2 weeks away. The new trunk design is great that it swings open by itself but the downside is if there is really something wrong with the software and the trunk open by itself, it will be wide open. Not good if you are out on the street. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 6 2005, 10:00 AM
That's scary and Hallowe'en is like 2 weeks away.? The new trunk design is great that it swings open by itself but the downside is if there is really something wrong with the software and the trunk open by itself, it will be wide open.? Not good if you are out on the street.? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]180439[/snapback]
Absolutely - I normally do leave the car on the drive, just glad I hadn't left my golf clubs in there!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Now that you mention, one morning when I start my car and start driving off the display say the trunk is open but when I go check it is closed. Weird
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:12 PM
Now that you mention, one morning when I start my car and start driving off the display say the trunk is open but when I go check it is closed.? Weird?
[snapback]180444[/snapback]
Yep, I had that same problem 2 days ago....the info shows the trunk's open...I got off the car and checked...it's tightly closed...
Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vffun' date='Oct 6 2005, 02:16 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:12 PM']Now that you mention, one morning when I start my car and start driving off the display say the trunk is open but when I go check it is closed.? Weird?
Yep, I had that same problem 2 days ago....the info shows the trunk's open...I got off the car and checked...it's tightly closed...
[snapback]180492[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, you know how the lights in your refrigerator comes on when you open the door and off when you close it? There's a little penguin that does the job. As for the bimmer, the little sucker got hot and opened the trunk.

It could be your wife or someone playing a trick on you. In my 545i, you can open the trunk and the doors can remain lock. I don't if it is the same with the fold down seats. Do you have keys that may have momentarily pressed on the trunk release button on your key? I highly doubt that there is an computer software related to opening the trunk - maybe just a connection to the battery at most. That's my logical guess.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:53 PM
[quote name='vffun' date='Oct 6 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='AC_S5' date='Oct 6 2005, 01:12 PM']Now that you mention, one morning when I start my car and start driving off the display say the trunk is open but when I go check it is closed.? Weird?
[snapback]180492[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, you know how the lights in your refrigerator comes on when you open the door and off when you close it? There's a little penguin that does the job. As for the bimmer, the little sucker got hot and opened the trunk.

It could be your wife or someone playing a trick on you. In my 545i, you can open the trunk and the doors can remain lock. I don't if it is the same with the fold down seats. Do you have keys that may have momentarily pressed on the trunk release button on your key? I highly doubt that there is an computer software related to opening the trunk - maybe just a connection to the battery at most. That's my logical guess.
[snapback]180527[/snapback]
[/quote]

In reality it's pretty hard to accidentally open the trunk - it's not the easiest of tasks when you want to do it deliberately. The length of keypress required is a good couple of seconds, and anything over and above that sets off the alarm. There have been other posters here with the same issue who were convinced it was a software issue, my guess at that time was that the cause was most probably an accidental keypress. Now, I'm not so sure. My key was where I left it, it's protected by a leather keyfob, and there was no one else around at that time of the morning to set it off. As I say, I'm 99% sure that the key wasn't and hadn't been pressed.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Members

Maybe the trunk just wasn't closed all the way. It could have something to do with the opening mechanism that makes our trunks pop open. I had the trunk open light come on the other day and it was closed.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Mine does it once every few months. I think I may accidently be hitting the trunk part of the key somehow, at some point. If a car's trunk just opened spontaneously, with no prodding, it'd REALLY be a shitbox. I'm trying to keep my hopes up.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Oct 6 2005, 05:57 PM
Mine does it once every few months.? ? I think I may accidently be hitting the trunk part of the key somehow, at some point.? ? If a car's trunk just opened spontaneously, with no prodding, it'd REALLY be a shitbox.? I'm trying to keep my hopes up.
[snapback]180598[/snapback]
I've had it happen as well. Somehow I think that I am either accidently bumping the keys or my three year old is guilty of touching the keys when I'm not watching. I don't think there is any way to scientifically prove that anything else could be causing it. Maybe next gen BMWs will have bluetooth activated voice response. That we could just say open and close.

Quick Reply: Phantom trunk opening