E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Performing an AC Rechage Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Does anyone know where the high and the low valve to perform an AC recharge. Also does R134 work for our cars or do we need a special type of coolant?

i have a 2004 545i
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Members

bump to yo mother
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

i do, but...

i highly recommend you leave the a/c maint. to an approved A/C service/repair facility or your local BMW dealer. these are highly expensive components that you risk damaging, let alone injuring yourself.

if you have to ask where these ports are, i strongly suggest you have it done by the pros.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='886243' date='May 21 2009, 10:34 PM
i do, but...

i highly recommend you leave the a/c maint. to an approved A/C service/repair facility or your local BMW dealer. these are highly expensive components that you risk damaging, let alone injuring yourself.

if you have to ask where these ports are, i strongly suggest you have it done by the pros.

so what you're saying is, there isn't a high pressure and low pressure port, and you don't connect your gauge and canister of coolant to the low pressure port (which is completely safe)? it's not like any other car, bmw has somehow made their AC unit different than everyone else? i thought this was a forum that i can learn how to perform some repairs with the help of its members, instead of constantly going to the dealership for every little thing.

i'm only asking where they are because i'm not sure if there are two separate low pressure ports for this vehicle. i ask this because my passenger side is cold while my driver side remains warm. i haven't had time to look in depth, but i was hoping a forum member would be willing to help pin point the location of the driver side port.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D 2007

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='886333' date='May 22 2009, 10:30 AM
i'm only asking where they are because i'm not sure if there are two separate low pressure ports for this vehicle. i ask this because my passenger side is cold while my driver side remains warm. i haven't had time to look in depth, but i was hoping a forum member would be willing to help pin point the location of the driver side port.
Just to be certain, but I hope you have set everything right in the idrive.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='886333' date='May 22 2009, 01:30 AM
so what you're saying is, there isn't a high pressure and low pressure port, and you don't connect your gauge and canister of coolant to the low pressure port (which is completely safe)? it's not like any other car, bmw has somehow made their AC unit different than everyone else? i thought this was a forum that i can learn how to perform some repairs with the help of its members, instead of constantly going to the dealership for every little thing.

some issues here:

1. obviously you do not know how an a/c sys works. if you understand its major components and what they do, what goes on with the coolant, which direction it flows, how the coolant changes to vapor and liquid in different stages, where it changes, etc., you would know exactly the location of the high and low pressure ports would be. regardless of what kind of a/c sys you have, whether it'd be in your car, home, or aircraft, they all work the same. just popping up my hood and looking at the engine bay i know exactly where the ports are, and there are only 2 (one low and one high). they stick out like a sore thumb. one towards the engine firewall and the other up front by the receiver/dryer. i bet you're dying to know which one's the high port and which is the low port. here's a hint: the low port is right after the evaporator just before the compressor.

2. this is a forum. THE forum i might add! and when you ask a question, don't expect to ALWAYS get an answer you're looking for. some will give you their opinion, suggestion, advice, etc etc, even some from out of left field. and occasionally you'll get a thread jacker. I just merely gave you my advice regarding a complicated sys., as you already know. i just hope no damage is done either to your car or yourself.

btw, there is no such thing as a "driver side port" only the aforementioned low and high ports. (location can be anywhere) there is a diagram from a previous thread about a/c systems recently. do a search and you'll find it.

now your problem could be as simple as the thermostat guage on your center console or like another member said check your idrive vent settings. good luck
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='886589' date='May 22 2009, 08:41 AM
some issues here:

1. obviously you do not know how an a/c sys works. if you understand its major components and what they do, what goes on with the coolant, which direction it flows, how the coolant changes to vapor and liquid in different stages, where it changes, etc., you would know exactly the location of the high and low pressure ports would be. regardless of what kind of a/c sys you have, whether it'd be in your car, home, or aircraft, they all work the same. just popping up my hood and looking at the engine bay i know exactly where the ports are, and there are only 2 (one low and one high). they stick out like a sore thumb. one towards the engine firewall and the other up front by the receiver/dryer. i bet you're dying to know which one's the high port and which is the low port. here's a hint: the low port is right after the evaporator just before the compressor.

2. this is a forum. THE forum i might add! and when you ask a question, don't expect to ALWAYS get an answer you're looking for. some will give you their opinion, suggestion, advice, etc etc, even some from out of left field. and occasionally you'll get a thread jacker. I just merely gave you my advice regarding a complicated sys., as you already know. i just hope no damage is done either to your car or yourself.

btw, there is no such thing as a "driver side port" only the aforementioned low and high ports. (location can be anywhere) there is a diagram from a previous thread about a/c systems recently. do a search and you'll find it.

now your problem could be as simple as the thermostat guage on your center console or like another member said check your idrive vent settings. good luck
1. thank you for your help. i only looked under the hood for a quick glance over and i guess it didn't stand out like a sore thumb then. also i'm asking about the driver side stuff because a year ago when i went to my dealership for this problem, the SA mentioned that they needed to do a recharge for the driver side (only). this made me believe that there are two separate systems for this vehicle.

2. i was just surprised that someone would take the time to write that they knew the answer but had no intention of telling me. if you had typed something along the lines of, "it's more complicated than most cars, and from experience it's not the type of work anyone would want to do themselves because of reason 1,2,3..." then i would have appreciated your first post (i do appreciate your 2nd post).

good day
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

duly noted. i hope you get your situation rectified because summer is fast approaching. good luck and have a good holiday weekend!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW525i 20 inch wheels, tinted tails windows, and headlights, acs style spoiler, painted calipers, HID fogs, angelibrights, 1999 Chevy S-10-lambo doors, retractable license plate, rims, lowered, custom thru body kit exhaust w/twin slash tips, ect..., 2007 gsxr750 fully modded.

did it myself bought 21 dollar recharge kit from auto-zone, worked great took 5 minutes. its easier than cleaning your wheels. instructions are on can.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Members

i took my car to the dealership for the passenger seat airbag recall and i figured i'd let them figure it out. the gauge i had to do the recharge from my last cars didn't fit the e60. seems like we'd need a larger adapter for our cars.

anyways this is what the dealership came back with, which was all covered under my CPO warranty.

receiver drier leaking evacuate system and found .3lbs, pulled vacuum for 30 min, added dye, recharged to 1.78lbs, ran system for 30 min and checked for leaks using uv goggles, found leak coming from receiver drier area of condenser. evacuate system again and repl receiver/drier recharged system to 1.78lbs. ran system for 30 min all ok at this time.

Quick Reply: Performing an AC Rechage Help