E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Performance difference between 550i sport auto and normal auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM
dsm
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Popular Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close, Heated Steering wheel, Dynamic Drive, Voice commands

Just as the topic says. I have a 550i auto without the sports trans and so i wanted to ask is there any difference in the performance like 0-60 times etc. between them.
+ can any1 tell me how to do a faster 0-62mph time. I cant go under 6.1 (with 3 people in the car though and full tank). and does sprint booster really help?
Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by dsm' post='657733' date='Aug 30 2008, 03:26 AM
Just as the topic says. I have a 550i auto without the sports trans and so i wanted to ask is there any difference in the performance like 0-60 times etc. between them.
+ can any1 tell me how to do a faster 0-62mph time. I cant go under 6.1 (with 3 people in the car though and full tank). and does sprint booster really help?
I doubt there is much difference in 0-60 with the sport auto. Maybe .1 secs due to faster shifting but thats it.

Are you launching in manual mode? Normal auto mode may be a 2nd gear start. Even with standard auto, push the lever left and kick it forward into M1. Hit the DTC button and then brake torque it (hold brake and accelerator) before launching. It will take practice to learn the right throttle/launch RPM. Somewhere around 2k given a load of passengers is a start. Once you take off, you can shift with the lever or let the auto do it near redline.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Sprint Booster doesn't really help "speed" although it does make acceleration more efficient (quicker)...Hmmmmm Maybe it actually does increase 0-60 time because of no depression delay...Anyone else?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='657787' date='Aug 30 2008, 07:00 AM
Sprint Booster doesn't really help "speed" although it does make acceleration more efficient (quicker)...Hmmmmm Maybe it actually does increase 0-60 time because of no depression delay...Anyone else?
What's a 'depression delay'?

Is that the mental state of being one is in when their e60 is not accelerating in an all-out manner?

(i know to what you are referring...)
Old 08-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I had an 07 550 without SA and my 08 has it . While I want to say the SA provides more speed I'm sure it doesn't , it just sounds that way, certainly the posted BMW 0-60 are identical.............the paddles are fun though

Cheers
Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='657796' date='Aug 30 2008, 05:50 AM
I had an 07 550 without SA and my 08 has it . While I want to say the SA provides more speed I'm sure it doesn't , it just sounds that way, certainly the posted BMW 0-60 are identical.............the paddles are fun though

Cheers
Has BMW posted their "official" ETs for the Sport Auto? I haven't seen anything other than TBD.

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='657837' date='Aug 30 2008, 09:56 AM
Has BMW posted their "official" ETs for the Sport Auto? I haven't seen anything other than TBD.

Cal
their times were posted on the site (Canadian ) ,07-08 = no change
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
dsm
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Popular Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close, Heated Steering wheel, Dynamic Drive, Voice commands

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='657784' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:55 AM
I doubt there is much difference in 0-60 with the sport auto. Maybe .1 secs due to faster shifting but thats it.

Are you launching in manual mode? Normal auto mode may be a 2nd gear start. Even with standard auto, push the lever left and kick it forward into M1. Hit the DTC button and then brake torque it (hold brake and accelerator) before launching. It will take practice to learn the right throttle/launch RPM. Somewhere around 2k given a load of passengers is a start. Once you take off, you can shift with the lever or let the auto do it near redline.
i heard brake torquing was bad for the car. Is it or no?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dsm' post='657733' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:26 AM

list of sport compared to non sport modes:
-steeper throttle ramping
-faster speed acquisition times on cruise control
-rpm's held longer and higher (shifts later and holds rpms rather than shifting to a higher gear for spirited driving)

Now i have SMG on my 550, so its easier to feel the effects of the sport button as there is a direct connection between the gearbox and the flywheel. nless a torque converter is locked (at higher speeds), it is harder to feel what this is actually doing.

and as far as brake torquing goes, not bad... check out how stuff works and type torque converter, it is basically two opposing snail designs inside a donut shaped casing with fluid acting as a "medium" where nrg is transferred. Like if you put a fan on high next to a stationary fan, the air will try to spin the stationary one. now put that in a tight-tolerance, closed system and add a medium thousands of times denser, and you have a torque converter.

now the way it is "bad" for the car is, ... nothing. Just dont go doing it every 5 seconds, something always gives...
Old 08-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Members

i just realized you were talking about the auto trannies, sorry!

as i know, the sport auto does faux rev matching for a smoother performance feel, and the torque converter locks at lower rpms/speed, also, for a sportier feel!

Quick Reply: Performance difference between 550i sport auto and normal auto