E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

people are still buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='816910' date='Mar 15 2009, 12:29 AM
Why does it have to be a PM? wouldnt it be more useful for a "forum" to post MPG figures to the public?
I just thought his thread was about him selling his 530d as well as buying a monster powerful 4x4. Didn't want to hijack the thread on to a fuel economy one.

cheers
Old 03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JLinardi' post='816914' date='Mar 14 2009, 08:43 PM
Why would you get ripped off on autotrader? Its just classifieds.
I was wondering about that too
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Contributors

ok, MPG around town is always between 30-35 never outside those
MPG on a run/motorway is always between 40-45 as displayed on the OBC

autotrader is used by the trade to sell on things as its mainly used by "punters", its NOT a source used to buy at "good/discounted" prices
the trade do not buy from autotrader...its where they sell, after adding there mark up (normally 500-1500 on each car (pro rata)
yes its just classified adds....but punter prices.
occasionally you get a keen private add but as for the rest i would look elsewhere. i have always found AT to be dear.
i have a lot of dealer friends, and they love autotrader.to sell.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='816729' date='Mar 14 2009, 02:44 PM
GTS deliveries (worldwide) did not start until Spring of 2008. All 2007 saw was the debut was at the autoshows...

Either way, the S you have is a great SUV. Congrats!
hi mate, it was confusing me, so i asked at my local porsche dealership (afn guildford) and they said the GTS was on sale in the uk and europe in 2007.
also on page 122 of aprils GT porsche magazine, where it lists pure porsche data, it shows the GTS being on sale from 2007 in europe, prehaps the states didnt get them untill 2008?.
my MPG today was down to 12 average
i miss my 530d
Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='817170' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:12 AM
ok, MPG around town is always between 30-35 never outside those
MPG on a run/motorway is always between 40-45 as displayed on the OBC

autotrader is used by the trade to sell on things as its mainly used by "punters", its NOT a source used to buy at "good/discounted" prices
the trade do not buy from autotrader...its where they sell, after adding there mark up (normally 500-1500 on each car (pro rata)
yes its just classified adds....but punter prices.
occasionally you get a keen private add but as for the rest i would look elsewhere. i have always found AT to be dear.
i have a lot of dealer friends, and they love autotrader.to sell.
Thanks. I am roughly 7mpg down on what you have quoted.

I have sold many of my older cars via autotrader. Always low mileage, very well kept, high spec'd cars and always priced below average. You are right in saying that most of the time its used by the traders to sell at high prices than you would get at auctions.

You obviously know how to buy at auctions so it will always be to your advantage. I have no clue how to buy at an auction, let alone finding one.

cheers mate

ps: I must have missed this, but I wonder how this X6twin turbo V8 will match up to the GTS. Interesting engine design by BMW though.
Linky..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributors

from what ive heard the big BMW comes out on top in most tests, it is a formidable SUV.
i only wanted the cayenne because for a long time i hankered after one,(i love ugly cars....matches me. ) and the price has reached rock bottom now......i dont think (hope ) its going to go lower, there must be a point in which it becomes not viable to sell?

i love the X6, and in a couple of years might have a look there.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='818051' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:37 AM
from what ive heard the big BMW comes out on top in most tests, it is a formidable SUV.
i only wanted the cayenne because for a long time i hankered after one,(i love ugly cars....matches me. ) and the price has reached rock bottom now......i dont think (hope ) its going to go lower, there must be a point in which it becomes not viable to sell?

i love the X6, and in a couple of years might have a look there.
Sadly I seem to like the X6 too. Don't ask me why though. Maybe cause not many people like it and a few on the road only. The bit that truly caught my imagination was this bit in the article.

"The twin turbos, along with the catalytic converters, are housed in the valley between the ?V? of the cylinders. It?s certainly a novel idea and by doing this BMW has created an extremely compact engine,"

BMW engine designers at their best yet again. Time after time, BMW sets the standards with their engines. They out-smart the others IMO. Just take the M-engines both past and current. THe 535d engine is another example and only now we are seeing the others copy a similar setup. I read the jag is coming out with a similar twin turbo diesel that may relegate the 535d to second spot. Left to be seen that.

But a V8 with twin turbo and cats all housed in the V-valley. Nice!!!!. Definately some thing worth talking about at the pub with the mates.

cheers
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='817322' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:17 AM
hi mate, it was confusing me, so i asked at my local porsche dealership (afn guildford) and they said the GTS was on sale in the uk and europe in 2007.
funny thing is here's Porsche's own press release (from September 2007) noting that global deliveries would commence in February 2008. The car did indeed debut in 2007, so that may be where we're all getting confused, but I don't believe any cars were delivered in calendar year 2007. I don't know when Porsche's model year changes in the UK, but I doubt they'd miss the opportunity to release it as an 08 if they could otherwise the first cars would take an immediate hammering as soon as the model year switched. That may explain it though.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/pr...p;id=2007-09-07

The link is from the US site but it's the Porsche AG press release.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='816700' date='Mar 14 2009, 03:15 PM
sorry, it has the GTS wheels and air suspension but its an "S" 4.8ltr
and dont use autotrader unless you want to get ripped off
i bought from blackbushe car auctions in there prestige listings.
car is 2007 (march) has air suspension, 20" turbo wheels, and 1 hire company owned (77k miles)
Attachment 74190
Attachment 74191
Attachment 74192

checked the GTS here in europe and it came out in UK in october 2007, it was released in germany (frankfurt motor show ) in september 2007.
not sure about USA.
man you got screwed the steering wheel is on the wrong side
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='818880' date='Mar 17 2009, 02:52 AM
funny thing is here's Porsche's own press release (from September 2007) noting that global deliveries would commence in February 2008. The car did indeed debut in 2007, so that may be where we're all getting confused, but I don't believe any cars were delivered in calendar year 2007. I don't know when Porsche's model year changes in the UK, but I doubt they'd miss the opportunity to release it as an 08 if they could otherwise the first cars would take an immediate hammering as soon as the model year switched. That may explain it though.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/pr...p;id=2007-09-07

The link is from the US site but it's the Porsche AG press release.
Actually I am not sure where you are going with all this. Are you trying to say that dave bought a car thats NOT an official GTS and one that looks like a GTS? just reading all this makes me more confused especially since I dislike all 911s and hence never ever bothered to read up on porsche products.

So is Dave's car a GTS or not? can someone please help me with a simple YES or NO.

thanks
cheers

Quick Reply: people are still buying