E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

PennzOil OR BMW High Performance for Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushin5
whatcha got against pimply faced teens working at Autozone?
When i worked there, I already had my license in aircraft mechanics.. a little above the knowledge level of the average Autozoner.
My apologies to any post-adolescent Autozone employees (current and former) with clear complexions and PhD's in Astrophysics; my sophisticated humor is often misinterpreted as sarcasm.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Ive been using 5w 30 Mobile 1 Extended Synthetic (15000 mile) for a couple of years now. Its relatively difficult to find at times, and they don't seem to sell it in bulk at the stores. So far I've got near 172k miles on the OD. I generally change between 8k and 10k. Am I wasting money on this 'extended' performance oil vs standard full synthetics?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Ive been using 5w 30 Mobile 1 Extended Synthetic (15000 mile) for a couple of years now. Its relatively difficult to find at times, and they don't seem to sell it in bulk at the stores. So far I've got near 172k miles on the OD. I generally change between 8k and 10k. Am I wasting money on this 'extended' performance oil vs standard full synthetics?
Not necessarily. Depends upon what kind of driving you do. If you do city driving I might even suggest dropping to 6K mile drain intervals if you want to run her till she drops. Oil is dirt cheap compared to gasket work. And replacing an engine becomes a tough economic justification as the miles pile up.

The Mobil 5W30EP has a reasonably good add pack which works for older engines that tend to have more blow-by and quickly accumulate contaminants which can eat up additives fast. The key is to keep the % of additives high enough at the time you drain it that the oil is still working well. Once the additives are used up the oil becomes unstable and unable to protect the engine.

Professional fleet maintenance experts, doing lab analysis of drained oil, look for excessive metal content (component wear), contaminants (gas, water, coolant, soot from blow-by) and the percentage of additives left in the oil compared to when new. If the metal wear looks good, and contaminant levels are OK, then it becomes timing the drain intervals to having 20% to 25% of the original additives left.

Check online with Walmart. They will show which locations near you carry the 5qt jug of 5W30EP for $27, or 6.50/qt.
I have tried to order oil online at Walmart for store pickup but have been unsuccessful. Possibly your closest store will order it for you if locations that carry it are too long a drive.

I use 5W30EP regularly in my daughters 2008 Altima coupe (2.5L) and it is a great oil (6-7K DI on mostly highway miles).
I use M1 0W40 in my 545i and my wife's SC430 (5-6K DI), but that is just personal preference.

Great lookin' ride you have there.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
My apologies to any post-adolescent Autozone employees (current and former) with clear complexions and PhD's in Astrophysics; my sophisticated humor is often misinterpreted as sarcasm.
No offense taken now if only i could take a research reading class in order to understand that sophistication!....