E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pending Software Update woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have my 2006 535d booked in next Friday (the first time it's been in since being born in December 2006) to sort out a few gremlins - the CD seems to overrun intermittently and the whole iDrive seems to be slow. I explained to my dealer that I knew Progman 25 was imminent and that I would prefer to wait until it is released before booking in, however, he said that you can't choose which update is applied - he reckons the car is hooked up to the diagnostics and the technician feeds the results into BMW central computer which comes back with a fix relating to the particular problem.....He said you can't choose which version will be applied....

Am I missing something here, I didn't think that there were indivdual updates (like HotFixes!) just full revisions - 24.02, 25 etc....

Anyway, I told him that I was aware of the eyebrows being switched off by certain revisions and he assured me that the car will leave with exactly the same functionality, if they break something he said they will keep it until it is fixed! I have a loan car arranged from them so I could be in it for a while.

They weren't forthcoming with the availability of Progman 25 but did say they would tell me which version is currently on the car and which version gets applied.....

So fingers crossed for next Friday :'(
Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andyos' post='399550' date='Mar 7 2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Guys,

I have my 2006 535d booked in next Friday (the first time it's been in since being born in December 2006) to sort out a few gremlins - the CD seems to overrun intermittently and the whole iDrive seems to be slow. I explained to my dealer that I knew Progman 25 was imminent and that I would prefer to wait until it is released before booking in, however, he said that you can't choose which update is applied - he reckons the car is hooked up to the diagnostics and the technician feeds the results into BMW central computer which comes back with a fix relating to the particular problem.....He said you can't choose which version will be applied....

Am I missing something here, I didn't think that there were indivdual updates (like HotFixes!) just full revisions - 24.02, 25 etc....

Anyway, I told him that I was aware of the eyebrows being switched off by certain revisions and he assured me that the car will leave with exactly the same functionality, if they break something he said they will keep it until it is fixed! I have a loan car arranged from them so I could be in it for a while.

They weren't forthcoming with the availability of Progman 25 but did say they would tell me which version is currently on the car and which version gets applied.....

So fingers crossed for next Friday :'(
I don't know when v.25 will be available in England, but over here they are talking about the end of March. In any event, I believe that when they hook up the car to the computer, whatever version that the computer has will be transmitted in it's entirety. I'm pretty sure that they don't target specific functionality issues.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

A full update to the latest software does not mean that all modules in the car are updated. Progman versions are issued by BMW for all platforms, hence, an update may be issued that has no changes to the E60 but may have an important update for E92's as an example.

Further, software updates may be directed to specific issues such as an update to the code in the TCU or the SZM module and have no other impact on the remainder of the car. Certain modules may be running 22.02 and others 24.01. It is not like a computer where the entire OS is updated with every release of Progman. When a vehicle is connected to the programming computer, the tech is told which modules require updating and the process can be monitored by BMW back in Germany over the network connection.

Milestone updates such as 20 (IIRC) are significant as they updated views in NAV and added MP3 capability to certain vehicles.