E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Peeling dash paint - have you seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by vsark' post='644103' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the inputs..seems like a common problem...one would expect better of BWM!
So I am out of warranty and cant get these replaced at the dealer.
Wondering if there is a paint solution that some one has tried? OR if I should buy the Wood trim and try to replace it myself (and how).
I had a passenger door piece (Window switch plastic piece) replaced by warranty due to peeling. Unfortunately now I have the same piece as yours peeling (Center console) plus the cell phone cradle and I'm out of warranty as well. There used to be a DIY thread on how to replace the center piece with the wood trim, you could go that route. As mentioned here, these don't come cheap. I'm not sure if I'll replace mine or just leave as is.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

shit that looks bad
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I accidentally scratched mine (near the temp control) with my finger nail the other day when I was detailing....I was so pissed off......and I just had to get over it. The only problem is that I can't find that panel to purchase a new one...
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Members

There is a solution to this - have the piece or entire dash repainted. I know because I had this done in my previous car a Lexus IS300. Lexus IS300 have very fragile dashes and the Florida sun reaks havoc on them. Mine looked like complete sh*t after a couple of years. I was out of warranty, but as a favor the dealer brought in a guy who repainted the whole dash. i was really concerned that it would look like crap, but it did not. It looked like new. When I sold the car not one person who looked at it, including dealers, noticed or brought it up. I am sure if you call Lexus of Clearwater (Florida) they will give you the name of the guy. I was actually there this morning having a small ding taken out of my 530i. They have a DentWizard franchise on site. They didn't blink an eye when I pulled up in a BMW.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

i had it really bad on my passenger window piece, and then i give my little cousin a ride and he starts SCRATCHING at it, i was like at him, but felt bad to see him get all frowny and scared, i just scraped everything off of it and now its just shiny plastic, i might wet sand it to give it texture soon
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='644115' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:15 AM
I had a passenger door piece (Window switch plastic piece) replaced by warranty due to peeling. Unfortunately now I have the same piece as yours peeling (Center console) plus the cell phone cradle and I'm out of warranty as well. There used to be a DIY thread on how to replace the center piece with the wood trim, you could go that route. As mentioned here, these don't come cheap. I'm not sure if I'll replace mine or just leave as is.

Here is a site I found that has dash trims:

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...e.php?cat=4129

Anyone tried the DIY for replacing the wood trim? I would like to give that a shot. Also wondering what the dealership charges for the wood trim part and install.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by i<3e60' post='644192' date='Aug 11 2008, 02:47 PM
i had it really bad on my passenger window piece, and then i give my little cousin a ride and he starts SCRATCHING at it, i was like at him, but felt bad to see him get all frowny and scared, i just scraped everything off of it and now its just shiny plastic, i might wet sand it to give it texture soon
Do you have pics so that I can see the difference between the two textures?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by vsark' post='643875' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:13 AM
The black paint or film on the internal dash and other places in my 04'530 has starting 'peeling' (see pics).
It looks cheap and bad. Never had this with my previous bimmers.

Have anyone else had this problem and is there a way to repair/fix this?

thanks in advance.

~ V
if that's the only piece that is peeling, it costs less than $40 from Gary and it takes all of two screws and some prying to replace. I have several lying around, one in black, one in aluminum, and one in titanium. pm me if you want one.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='644393' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:48 PM
if that's the only piece that is peeling, it costs less than $40 from Gary and it takes all of two screws and some prying to replace. I have several lying around, one in black, one in aluminum, and one in titanium. pm me if you want one.

pm sent
Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

Originally Posted by vsark' post='644221' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:35 PM
Anyone tried the DIY for replacing the wood trim? I would like to give that a shot. Also wondering what the dealership charges for the wood trim part and install.
I think the dealer said it was $75 when they replaced mine under warranty.

Quick Reply: Peeling dash paint - have you seen this?