E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passive restraint system warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

So I'm driving to work this morning, when all of a sudden there is a "bong" and a warning message flashes up on the CID (with corresponding red indicators) telling me that there is a malfunction in the passive restraint system - either air bags, tension limiters, etc... but that I should continue to wear my seat belt.

After stopping, turning off the car, removing the key, then restarting the car, the warning is gone and hasn't re-appeared.

My question is this: Do I assume that it was just a freak occurrence and ignore it or should I be truly worried that something is actually wrong with the system?

Thanks, Jon.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='195205' date='Nov 8 2005, 10:32 AM
So I'm driving to work this morning, when all of a sudden there is a "bong" and a warning message flashes up on the CID (with corresponding red indicators) telling me that there is a malfunction in the passive restraint system - either air bags, tension limiters, etc... but that I should continue to wear my seat belt.

After stopping, turning off the car, removing the key, then restarting the car, the warning is gone and hasn't re-appeared.

My question is this: Do I assume that it was just a freak occurrence and ignore it or should I be truly worried that something is actually wrong with the system?

Thanks, Jon.
My car displayed a passenger airbag warning--never came back. The dealer fixed it using SIB 72-09-03. They cleaned the front and rear battery monitor circuit connectors.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 | 525i | Oriental Blue | Auburn Dakota | Cold Weather | Premium | debadged | Professional Nav

I've had the same warning come on in the last few months. No problem with the driver's seat; only when somebody's in the passenger seat. I usually turn the engine off and take the key out, and more often than not the problem goes away. Have had to restart it up to three times occasionally.

I'm taking it to the local dealer this week. Has anybody had this problem resolved at the dealer's expense? It's not the first time I've heard of this problem, so I'm assuming it's a manufacturing defect.

Thanks.