E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint & SOS Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default Passenger Restraint & SOS Malfunction

So, I had my first Passenger Restraint Malfunction about 5 months ago and it was listed as "battery safety terminal" by my Indy. It cleared and didn't come back until a few weeks ago. I finally got around to getting INPA setup, and was able to somehow clear it out (not sure exactly how I did it, I just cleared a bunch of errors). Unfortunately, as soon as I cleared the Restraint error, I started getting an SOS malfunction warning, which I've never received. Then a few days after the restraint clear, the restraint came on again. I suspect it's tied to the passenger seat, since it seems to come on when people sit in it. Now I can't clear either error (for the record when I last cleared the passenger restraint, the SOS didn't clear).

My two questions are, is there any advice on how I can clear these out?

and....is there any way to read the particular Passenger Restraint error in INPA?

I understand there is a 10-year warranty from original registration for certain model's seat sensor mats. Perhaps I should run down to a stealership and plead that, since I'm approaching that limit shortly.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It might be worth the cost to have it checked out. Too many people seem to just want to by pass it. I would not do that until you know exactly why the light is on.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
I understand there is a 10-year warranty from original registration for certain model's seat sensor mats. Perhaps I should run down to a stealership and plead that, since I'm approaching that limit shortly.
IMO, for these kinds of problems, it's best to take the car to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem. They will charge the diagnostic fee (typically 1 hr of labor) and will give you a printout of the diagnosis. There is a recall for seat mat sensor. If the diagnosis says the culprit is the seat mat sensor [and your car falls within the range], then it will cost you nothing to get that taken care of. On the other hand, if the diagnosis points to any other part, you are on your own.

There are several parts that can trigger 'passenger restraint system' error. I had this error on my car and dealer diagnosed and replaced the BST cable and I paid little more than $500 for diagnosis, part, and labor to install that cable.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Go in inpa and list all of your error codes shown. Your SGM may be holding one or more related errors. There is also a recall on the passenger seat mat. Dealer will replace it for free.

Last edited by svre46; 11-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.